Please note the following:
- All media outlets requesting credentials to MHSAA Tournaments must:
- Be a Limited Liability Corporation or bonafide company registered to do business in the state of Michigan.
- Carry its own liability insurance and will hold harmless the MHSAA, tournament venues and all associated parties for any damages, illness, injuries or death occurring while covering an MHSAA tournament event.
- Proof of business status and insurance coverage must be provided upon request.
- By submitting a credentials request, the requesting party agrees to all of the MHSAA Terms & Conditions for media credential usage.
- No credential requests are guaranteed.
- The MHSAA reserves the right to deny any request for any reason.
- The MHSAA does not issue credentials for freelance writers, freelance or commercial photographers, or recruiting services.
- Outlets which are only providing game updates in social media will not be issued credentials.
For more information, refer to the MHSAA Multimedia Regulations.
MHSAA Tournament Media Passes
The MHSAA will issue annually, Tournament Media Passes to those established media outlets which cover high school sports on a daily basis. These passes have come to be generally honored at regular-season contests, even though host sites are under no obligation to do so. Because of the current pandemic, media outlets need to call sites at which they wish to cover games in advance to secure access and entrance information - even if they already have an MHSAA-issued credential.
Most passes are issued at the beginning of the school year, but the MHSAA will fill requests on a per request basis throughout the year to accommodate additions to an outlet's staff, except during seasonal tournaments. Media outlets needing individual Finals event passes can use the online form for respective sport.
NEW IN 2020-21 - We are going to a new online system for submitting credential applications and images for passes. You will not longer be able to request credentials or submit photos via email to the MHSAA Office.
With the change to the new system, everyone is going to need to upload their images to it. There are no specific guidelines for the file type-size-etc. to upload. There is a cropping tool you can use. Once uploaded, you will be able to reuse those images in the future.
The sports editor or sports director must make the original request and all subsequent requests for additional or replacement passes. Requests by individual staff members will be denied.
NOTE - We have stopped accepting Tournament Media Credentials for the Fall. We will resume the process the week of Dec. 7.
For Regular-Season Games
Because of the current pandemic, media outlets need to call sites at which they wish to cover games in advance to secure access and entrance information.
MHSAA Credentialing Protocol - Pre Finals
Because of the current pandemic, media outlets - including those which have MHSAA-issued credentials - need to call sites at which they wish to cover games in advance for all District, Regional and Quarterfinal events, and for Semifinals and Finals in events not listed on this page in advance to secure access and entrance information. THE MHSAA OFFICE DOES NOT ISSUE CREDENTIALS FOR PRE-FINALS SITES.
MHSAA Credentialing Protocol - Finals
The Credential Request Form link below will be made active as Finals events approach. In general, you may not apply for Finals credentials until after the Regional round of play is completed for a sport.
The sports editor or sports director must make the original request. Requests by individual staff members will be denied.
Here are the current events and their application deadlines:
There are no events at this time