Our MHSAA Student Advisory Council members all play at least one MHSAA varsity sport, and through their service to the council have learned much more about high school athletics throughout the state.
But when it comes to following sports teams, almost all do their most cheering for those at the college level.
We surveyed our SAC members on what level of sports they pay attention to most. Here’s a look at their answers.
- Ten of 12 who submitted answers said they follow college sports most. Another SAC member said she follows both college and pro equally.
- The breakdown of colleges was a little surprising. Three said the University of Michigan, two said Michigan State University, but two more said Ohio State University. We also had one vote for Hillsdale College and another for Baylor University.
- Two put down the colleges they will compete for next year – University of Miami, Ohio (Grand Blanc’s Bailey Truesdell, in golf) and Notre Dame (New Buffalo’s Lena Madison, in track).
- Truesdell was specific in his selection – he follows Miami’s hockey team the most. Michigan football and softball also were listed by SAC members.
- Four professional teams made the radar of SAC favorites. Two follow the NBA’s Chicago Bulls, and a third follows the Miami Heat. The only Detroit teams to get a mention were the MLB Tigers and NFL Lions, one apiece.