Breslin Bound: Girls Report Week 8
January 22, 2013
By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
With 20 games to play and most teams seeing at least half their opponents twice, finishing the regular season perfect is truly an incredible accomplishment.
The number of teams with the opportunity to do so this season is getting smaller by the week. Keep an eye on the teams topping this week's list of recent high performers as they go for that rare feat – plus the rest of this 10 if they get chances to play spoiler.
1. St. Ignace (11-0) – The Saints haven’t allowed an opponent within 20 points since Dec. 1, and none this season have gotten closer than 14.
2. Detroit Martin Luther King (11-0) – King has been the favorite all season to win Class A in March, and solidified that status further by beating highly-regarded Southfield Lathrup by 18 last week.
3. Niles Brandywine (11-0) – The Bobcats remained perfect in part by handing Mendon its first loss of the season, 51-47 on Thursday.
4. Midland Dow (13-0) – Dow is the team to beat in either division of the Saginaw Valley Association and next week will face Midland for the first time after being swept by its rival last season.
5. Benton Harbor (8-3) – Two of the Tigers losses were by a combined five points, and they won big against expected Big 16 West favorite St. Joseph, 66-37 on Tuesday.
6. Saginaw Nouvel (10-1) – The Panthers make a quick return to this list after beating fellow Class C contender Saginaw Valley Lutheran, 60-50, plus Class A Saginaw.
7. Wayland (8-3) – The Wildcats have won five straight and handed Grand Rapids South Christian its first loss of the season, 57-38 on Friday.
8. Mendon (11-1) – The Hornets may have lost to Brandywine last week, but they also beat 2012 Class D runner-up Athens, 42-27.
9. Fenton (8-3) – The Tigers have won seven of their last eight and are the team to chase in the Flint Metro League after beating Holly 38-27 on Friday and Clio 56-49 on Monday.
10. Hamilton (11-1) – The Hawkeyes have taken another step after losing five games last season, with their only loss this winter to Grandville during a holiday tournament.
PHOTO: Saginaw Nouvel (white jerseys) edged Valley Lutheran 60-50 last week in a battle of Class C powers. (Click to see more at HighSchoolSportsScene.com.)