#TBT: Making Hoops History
October 9, 2014
By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
With nearly 90 years of our own to recall, we enjoy history quite a bit at the Michigan High School Athletic Association.
And we also enjoy when those who have been part of our events send us a souvenir like this 1939 Boys Basketball Regional program from March 9-11, 1939, at what became known as Western Michigan University.
Regionals for Class A, C and D were played at the then-Western State Teachers College, with Kalamazoo St. Augustine, Watervliet and Burr Oak emerging as champions, respectively.
Also participating were Battle Creek, Holland, Benton Harbor and Kalamazoo Central in Class A; Bangor, Decatur, Eau Claire, Constantine and Kellogg in Class C; and Augusta and St. Joseph Catholic in Class D.
- The cover of the program included a list of Regional champions at the site dating to 1920. The MHSAA began in 1925 from a previous body.
- "Rules Changes to Watch" listed on the inside pages included the lane violation and a rule for overtime in which the first team scoring two points was declared the winner.
- The back cover showed an artist's sketch of the football/track and field and baseball stadiums then under construction at a cost of $270,000.
Below is the inside pages in full, including filled-in brackets for all three tournaments.