Montrose High School, the MHSAA School Broadcast Program of the Year for the 2014-15 school year, will be honored at halftime of the Durand at Montrose football game on Friday. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.
Montrose has won the Program of the Year honor in each of the first two years the MHSAA, in partnership with Herff Jones, has sponsored the School Broadcast Program Excellence Awards. In addition to repeating as the top school in the program, Montrose captured first place honors in three of the five individual categories.
Montrose took first place in Best Play-By-Play (Eric Vandefifer, Trey Schmitz – Boys Basketball game vs. Lake Fenton), Best Single Camera Production with PlayOn! Sports graphics (Trey Schmitz, Andrew Morley, Eric Vandefifer – Girls Soccer match vs. Hemlock), and the top two spots for Best Use of PlayOn! Sports Graphics (Eric Vandefifer, Trey Schmitz, Andrew Morley, Griffin Powell, Bradley Payne – Boys Basketball game vs. Goodrich; and Eric Vandefifer, Trey Schmitz, Andrew Morley – Girls Basketball game vs. Lake Fenton). The program also took a second place for Best Produced Commercial/Feature (Alyssa Bernard, Amanda Ramsey, Alicia Town, Allia Town – Sexual Assault PSA) and a third for Best Multicamera Production (Trey Schmitz, Andrew Morley, Amanda Ramsey, Nathan Brown, Eric Vandefifer, Brandon Smith – Genesee Area Conference Girls Competitive Cheer Finals).
In its seventh year, the School Broadcast Program gives members an opportunity to showcase excellence in their schools by creating video programming of athletic and non-athletic events, with students gaining skills in announcing, camera operation, directing/producing and graphics.
The program also gives schools the opportunity to raise money through advertising and viewing subscriptions.
All sporting events – live or delayed – are available on a subscription basis only for their first 72 hours online. They become available for free, on-demand viewing approximately 72 hours following their completion.
Here’s the schedule of School Broadcast Program members planning to stream competition this week for broadcast at MHSAA.tv (As of Sept. 14):
- Essexville Garber at Oscoda – Girls Swimming & Diving – Sept. 15 – 5 p.m. – On Demand following event
- Indian River Inland Lakes at Onaway – Girls Volleyball – Sept. 15 – 7 p.m. – On Demand following event
- Mason at Haslett – Girls Volleyball – Wednesday – 6 p.m. - LIVE
- Cheboygan at Onaway – Girls Volleyball – Wednesday – 7 p.m. – On Demand following event
- Zeeland West at Comstock Park – JV Football – Thursday – 6 p.m. – LIVE
- Jackson at Haslett – Girls Swimming & Diving – Thursday – 6 p.m. – LIVE
- St. Johns at Haslett – Girls Volleyball – Thursday – 6:30 p.m. - LIVE
- Belding at Cedar Springs – Girls Volleyball – Thursday – 6:45 p.m. – LIVE
- Houghton at Calumet – Girls Volleyball – Thursday – 7 p.m. - LIVE
- Kingsford at Marquette – Girls Volleyball – Thursday – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Oscoda at Rogers City – Girls Volleyball – Thursday – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Cedarville at Onaway – Football – Friday – 7 p.m. – On Demand following event
- Houghton at Calumet – Football – Friday - 7 p.m. - LIVE
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central at Cedar Springs – Football – Friday – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Durand at Montrose – Football – Friday – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Iron Mountain at Negaunee – Football – Friday – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Manistee at Pinconning – Football – Friday – 7 p.m. – On Demand following event
- Portage Northern at East Lansing – Boys Soccer – Saturday – 10 a.m. – On Demand Following Event
- DeWitt at East Lansing – Boys Soccer – Saturday – 3 p.m. – On Demand Following Event
- Ada Forest Hills Eastern at Cedar Springs – Tuesday (9/22) – 6:45 p.m. – LIVE
- Lake Linden-Hubbell at Calumet – Tuesday – 7 p.m. – LIVE
The SBP programming schedule is expected to expand now that school is in session across the state. A complete list of participating schools can be found on the School Broadcast Program page of the MHSAA website.
Schools interested in becoming a part of the School Broadcast Program should contact John Johnson at the MHSAA Office.
This week's MHSAA.tv highlights package includes clips from the South Haven/Plainwell and Lake Fenton/Montrose football games and Chassell/Calumet volleyball match.