Today in the MHSAA: 12/19/18
December 19, 2018
By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
High-scoring individual hoops performances, buzzer-beating wins on the court and some big-time matchups in the pool fill today’s list of Tuesday’s high achievers.
1. Boys Basketball: Wayne Memorial’s Isaiah Lewis went over 1,000 points for his career with 50 in his team’s big win over Dearborn – Observer & Eccentric
2. Boys Basketball: J.D. Rawls set a Mount Morris record with 42 points in a 74-57 win over Otisville-LakeVille – Flint Journal
3. Boys Swimming & Diving: Holland Christian, No. 1 in Lower Peninsula Division 3, continued its run through the state’s best teams with wins over No. 3 Spring Lake and Caledonia – Holland Sentinel
4. Girls Basketball: East Jordan improved to 6-0 with a buzzer-beating win over Grayling, 37-36 – Petoskey News-Review
5. Boys Swimming & Diving: LPD1 No. 5 Ann Arbor Pioneer won every race in a big win over LPD3 honorable mention Chelsea – We Love Ann Arbor
6. Boys Basketball: Howell’s Kip French knocked down a 3-pointer with 15 seconds to play to push the Highlanders past Plymouth 44-43 – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
7. Boys Basketball: Marquette got past Escanaba 61-51 in a matchup of last season’s top two teams in the Great Northern Upper Peninsula Conference – The Upbeat
8. Girls Basketball: Maple City Glen Lake handed Benzie Central its first defeat, 62-59 – MI Sports Now
9. Boys Basketball: Grand Rapids Union gave Grand Rapids Northview its first defeat, 73-60 – FOX 17
10. Girls Basketball: Coldwater held off a Kalamazoo Central comeback to improve to 5-0 with a 54-48 win – Coldwater Daily Reporter