By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Teams outran the oncoming cold spell Tuesday with a highlight-filled night of basketball across Michigan despite a weather-caused shortened schedule.
1. Boys Basketball: Flint Beecher got past Grand Blanc 81-69 in a matchup of top teams in the Flint area and statewide – WJRT
2. Boys Basketball: Westland John Glenn edged Wayne Memorial 67-63 to create a three-way tie for first in the Kensington Lakes Activities Association East while Joe Moon IV set Glenn’s career scoring record – Observer & Eccentric
3. Boys Basketball: Milford handed Walled Lake Northern its first loss this season, 37-34 – State Champs!
4. Girls Basketball: Gladstone took the final lead with 16 seconds to play in a 43-39 upset of Negaunee – Escanaba Daily Press
5. Hockey: Brighton got past Division 2 No. 9 Howell 1-0 with an overtime goal – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
6. Boys Basketball: Johannesburg-Lewiston avenged an early loss to Pellston by handing the Hornets their second defeat of the season, 81-65 – MI Sports Now
7. Girls Basketball: Mackinaw City maintained its lead in the Northern Lakes Conference with a 58-24 win over reigning league champion Harbor Springs Harbor Light Christian – Petoskey News-Review
8. Girls Basketball: Chelsea improved to 13-0 with a 52-43 win over Jackson – Ann Arbor News
9. Boys Basketball: Marquette downed Ishpeming Westwood 47-39 in a matchup of contenders in their respective leagues – The Upbeat
10. Boys Basketball: Rogers City won its seventh of the last eight games, 59-39 over Posen – WBKB
Also of note …
Battle Creek: The community is mourning the death of Al Leibert, who served as a teacher, principal and/or coach in multiple sports for more than 65 years at Battle Creek Central, Lakeview and St. Philip – Battle Creek Enquirer