By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Basketball teams got an early start on the weekend and holiday break with a number of Thursday night games, topped by a girls rivalry between high-powered neighbors.
“Today in the MHSAA” will take a break as well over the next two weeks and return Jan. 6.
1. Girls Basketball: Midland improved to 5-0 with its first win over rival Dow in two seasons, 38-31 – Midland Daily News
2. Girls Basketball: Muskegon put up an impressive defensive performance on the road at Kalamazoo Central to earn a 52-34 win – Muskegon Chronicle
3. Girls Basketball: Bay City John Glenn edged Freeland 42-40 in a matchup of annual contenders – Bay City Times
4. Boys Basketball: Camden-Frontier won a matchup of unbeaten teams, 67-46 – Hillsdale Daily News
5. Boys Basketball: Clare handed Beaverton its first defeat of the season, 54-48 – MI Sports Now
6. Boys Basketball: Montabella came back from a double-digit deficit, but Merrill held on for a 52-50 overtime win – Saginaw News
7. Hockey: Division 2 No. 9 Lake Orion got past Rochester Hills Stoney Creek 5-2 – Oakland Press
8. Girls Basketball: Unbeaten Macomb Dakota got past Grosse Pointe North 44-30 – Macomb Daily
9. Boys Basketball: Powers North Central moved to 2-0 with a 46-41 win over Carney-Nadeau – The Upbeat
10. Boys Basketball: South Lyon East won its first game and handed Salem its first loss, 45-36 – Observer & Eccentric