Multi-Skilled Hines Sparks Milan Charge
September 14, 2018
By Doug Donnelly
Special for Second Half
MILAN – It’s a good thing Tristen Hines doesn’t get tired.
“Tristen doesn’t want to come off the field, and we don’t want him to come off the field,” said Milan football coach Jesse Hoskins. “He’s that type of player.”
Hines is a 5-foot-11, 170-pound junior already in his third season on the varsity football team for Milan, which is off to a 3-0 start and tied atop the Huron League standings. During the past couple of seasons, he’s played running back, wide receiver and quarterback on offense as well as cornerback and strong safety on defense. He also returns kickoffs and punts.
No matter where he plays, he’s electric.
“The cool thing about Tristen is he doesn’t know how to be lazy,” Hoskins said. “He plays hard and enjoys it. He could play just about any offensive position. He’s a legitimate Division I recruit.”
Early in his career, Hines played mainly just defense for Milan. As a freshman, he made an impact on the Big Reds defense, intercepting seven passes and joining in on 76 tackles. As a sophomore, he moved into more of an offensive role. When the season began he was a wide receiver, but an injury to starting Milan quarterback Dyllan Jones forced Hoskins to put the athletic Hines into the QB spot.
“Our system fits a mobile type of quarterback and Tristen is just that, plus he passes the ball well,” Hoskins said. “This year, with D.J. (Dyllan Jones) returning and Hunter Aeschbacker at running back, we decided to keep Tristen at wide receiver.”
Hines was happy with the move back to wide receiver.
“I think for the team, that is the best position for me,” he said. “I like it better there. I like to go one-on-one with the defender and get out into space. If the defense must pay attention to me, that opens things up for the other guys.”
Hoskins said there are various plays in the Big Reds’ playbook to get the ball into Hines’ hands.
“We have a few wrinkles,” the seventh-year Milan coach said with a smile.
The performance Hines had last week in Milan’s 46-24 win over Flat Rock made Hoskins and the Milan coaches look like geniuses. Hines caught six passes for 201 yards and three touchdowns from his wideout spot, ran for a touchdown and returned a blocked field goal 80 yards for a fifth score.
In three games this season, Hines has 102 yards rushing, 323 receiving, 448 all-purpose yards and eight touchdowns. In Week 2, Hines rushed for one touchdown and had more than 100 receiving yards against Monroe St. Mary Catholic Central. It was a thrilling Milan victory, with the final touchdown coming with less than a minute left in the game.
Milan’s Evan Furtney caught the game-winner from Jones. Hines couldn’t believe the finish.
“We got the ball with four or five minutes left, which seemed like plenty of time,” he said. “In the huddle, I was like ‘All right, let’s get this down the field.’ But, we kept getting penalties and moving back. Finally, it was fourth down and it was like, ‘somebody has got to make a play.’ … I knew the ball wasn’t coming to me. When D.J. threw it up and Evan came down with it, I just started jumping up and down. That was crazy. I’ve never been in a game like that, where it came down to the final seconds.”
Hines and Furtney are best friends.
“I knew one of us was going to have to make a catch or make a play,” he said. “I was happy for him.”
The Big Reds host Riverview (2-1) tonight in Milan’s first home game of the season.
“It should be pretty exciting,” Hines said. “This year feels a lot like 2016 when we won the league. Last year, we were sort of expecting to be the best team in the league, but with injuries and everything, it didn’t work out.”
Milan did finish 5-5 last year and made the playoffs for the third consecutive season. The Big Reds have a long and prosperous football tradition. They have made the playoffs 17 times over the years and have had some outstanding football players, dating back to University of Michigan and American Football League standout Joe O’Donnell, for whom the Milan football stadium is named.
Hines looks like the next Big Red to play Division I college football. He’s received interest from several Mid-American Conference schools, from the University of Toledo to Eastern Michigan University. The University of Cincinnati has stayed in contact, and recently Indiana and Michigan State University assistant coaches have reached out to him. There are no offers yet, but Hines isn’t worried about that for now.
“I know that will happen eventually,” he said. “I don’t dwell on it. I am focused on my team right now.”
Hines said he’ll probably end up playing cornerback in college.
“That’s where I want to play,” he said. “When I first started football, back in the third grade, I was always on defense. I loved to hit. I think defense is where I’ll be in college.”
Hoskins thinks once one school puts an offer on the table for Hines, there will be a domino effect and other teams will follow. Hines just wants to keep his Big Reds in contention for a Huron League title and a playoff berth.
“I’m just focused on playing football for Milan and winning,” Hines said. “That’s what it is all about. That is what makes football fun, to win.”
Doug Donnelly has served as a sports and news reporter and city editor over 25 years, writing for the Daily Chief-Union in Upper Sandusky, Ohio from 1992-1995, the Monroe Evening News from 1995-2012 and the Adrian Daily Telegram since 2013. He's also written a book on high school basketball in Monroe County and compiles record books for various schools in southeast Michigan. E-mail him at [email protected] with story ideas for Lenawee and Monroe counties.
PHOTOS: (Top) Milan’s Tristen Hines pushes forward for another yard during last week’s win over Flat Rock. (Middle) Hines breaks for the end zone during a Week 1 victory at Bridgeport. (Photos courtesy of the Milan football program.)
Students Make Championship Calls
By
John Johnson
MHSAA Communications Director emeritus
December 16, 2013
It’s a great thrill each Thanksgiving weekend for those schools that make the trip to the Finals of the MHSAA Football Playoffs at Ford Field.
For the players, they get to occupy the same space as some of their professional favorites did just hours earlier… names like Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford … Joe Buck, Troy Aikman and Pam Oliver.
Buck, Aikman and Oliver?!!?!?
Joining the 16 schools playing the games this year were about 70 students from five other schools getting the experience of a lifetime on their own Ford Field trip as they got insights into the world of professional sports broadcasting.
The newly-founded Student Broadcast Foundation and the MHSAA partnered to provide the same kind of access the media covering the Finals get – and then some. Students visited various parts of Ford Field, including touring the Game Creek Video FX remote television facilities – the same production unit used for the Detroit Lions-Green Bay Packers contest on Thanksgiving Day, which will also originate FOX Sports’ Super Bowl XLVIII coverage at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., in February.
Some of the students were able to meet with media in attendance at the Finals to have their pictures taken and ask questions about careers in sports broadcasting and journalism.
Students, faculty advisors and parent-chaperones from the following schools took part in the experience: Cedar Springs, Davison, Detroit U- D Jesuit, Hillman, Warren DeLaSalle, Birmingham Brother Rice, Montrose and Detroit Catholic Central. Cedar Springs had the largest contingent with 28 students, with a parent covering the travel expenses for the group. Its experience is recapped in this embedded video.
"The whole experience at Ford Field was tremendous for our CSTV students,” said Justin Harnden, a teacher from Cedar Springs. “They were welcomed by the Student Broadcast Foundation, MHSAA, and Ford Field with open arms. Every student that attended had nothing but great things to say about everything. Seeing first-hand what it takes to put on such a big event will truly be beneficial to us as we all go forward in making our program better.”
Hillman had the second largest group with 17 students out of a student body of 151 from this school in Montmorency County, about 35 miles west of Alpena. “Absolutely outstanding job by your kids. You all made the best of your opportunity. Way to go! Your program just woke up a lot of people,” Hillman school board president Brad McLaren said in a text after the event to instructor Erin Brege.
Other videos were produced by students from Davison, Hillman and Montrose, and links to their productions are shown below. You can check out photos from the activities by visiting the Student Broadcasting Foundation’s Facebook page. Also, click to see videos shot by Davison and Montrose that now appear at MHSAA.TV.
“In the many years that Tom Skinner, Ken Kolb and I have been involved with broadcasting high school sports on radio and cable TV, this year’s Football Finals weekend was the most inspiring, satisfying, fun weekend working with these talented students and their dedicated instructors,” said Thom Lengyel, one of the founders of the Student Broadcast Foundation, a private non-profit organization.
Students from the participating schools also took part in calling the action of the eight championship games on the MHSAANetwork.com website, where an average of 250 people clicked in per contest. Calling the games were:
- Cedar Springs - Kyle Maka, Kody Hall, Alex Hughes (Division 1)
- Davison - Shawn Bednard, Chris Jared, Brandon Snyder (Division 7)
- Detroit U-D Jesuit - Jack Sznewjas, Chris Houle (Division 8)
- Hillman – Mike Klein, Kyle McLaren, Noah Allen, Bubba Banks (Division 4)
- Warren DeLaSalle - Brendan Johnson, Jake O'Donnell (Division 2)
- Birmingham Brother Rice – Miles Hampton, Jeremy Otto - Mentor (Division 6)
- Detroit Catholic Central – Joesph Trojniak, Adam Abraham - Mentor (Division 5)
Several of the schools involved also are part of the MHSAA’s Student Broadcast Program, which produced nearly 1,000 events during the fall sports season for the MHSAA.TV Website.
Read more about Hillman's experience here in reports from the Alpena News and WBKB-TV. And read on for a report on Cedar Springs' experience by student reporter Kendra Coons.
C.S.T.V. Production Program “Hits it out of the park” at Ford Field
Change.
It’s a word that many people don’t deal with well. In this case, it was for the better at Cedar Springs High School.
In 2012, drama teacher, Justin Harnden took over the television program at CSHS. The second he took it over many changes were made to the C.S.T.V. program. The program bought brand new cameras, computers, TVs, and much more. He started working on getting his students to film sporting events, work on Public Service Announcements, capture the latest news in the school; and for the biggest change, start announcing play-by-play.
“We are here to put out more than just news for our school and community. We are doing sports, award shows, graduation, Red Flannel things, and much more. We are destined for great things,” expressed Harnden.
With one year under his belt, Harnden started to submit C.S.T.V.’s work to the MHSAA. After the fall season of 2013, Thom Lengyel and Ken Kolb, who are a part of the Student Broadcast Foundation, heard C.S.T.V. production students Kyle Maka and Kody Hall perform play-by-play for one of Cedar Springs’ football games. After listening to the both of them, Lengyel contacted Harnden and offered for Maka, Hall, and the rest of the class to come down to Ford Field. Lengyel explained to Harnden that the trip to Ford Field would give the class a chance to receive a behind-the-scenes look at what goes on during a broadcast and give Maka and Hall a chance to call the Division 1 championship high school football game.
On Saturday, Nov. 30 the C.S.T.V. Production program traveled out of their little town of Cedar Springs, Michigan, to face the big town of Detroit, Michigan. The day started out with the students boarding the bus at 8:15 am for a three-hour drive to the east side of the state. Once the students stepped off the bus they received their press passes. This gave them full access to walk out onto the field and sit in press row. Once the class arrived at Ford Field, they traveled up to the seventh floor to meet Lengyel. Lengyel then introduced the class to Kolb, showed them where Fox Sports does all of their announcing, and showed them where press row was located. After all of that was done, it was time for Maka and Hall to announce play-by-play for the Division 1 championship. Another member of C.S.T.V. also received a chance to announce play-by-play for the game, Alex Hughes.
Coming from a town with an estimated 3,500 people, the three boys were not used to a big stage. A lot of the community would annually attend our high school football games, but nothing to the caliber of what the three boys were about to announce.
“Doing the play-by-play was just amazing. I felt on top of the world. It was the best experience of my life,” commented Maka.
“It was honestly a feeling that I've never felt before ... It almost didn't seem real at first, but once I opened up (to) the environment I had an amazing time,” stated Hughes.
While the three boys were announcing play-by-play, the rest of the class received the opportunity to walk onto the field and sit in press row. After the game the students received the chance to walk through the Fox Sports trailers. These trailers are where all of the action happens. Being able to walk through these trailers was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the C.S.T.V program.
“I thought looking around the Fox Sports Detroit mobile studio was eye opening. Seeing two of the three trucks that will handle all the production aspects of the Super Bowl was really great. We were able to see all that goes on in that setting, and we were amazed by it,” explains Harnden.
“Getting to tour Fox Sports was crazy because normally the behind the scenes work isn't seen at all, so that opportunity was perfect for the class,” said Hall.
After the students toured the buses, they all headed back up to the seventh floor to grab their things, say their goodbyes, and thank Lengyel and Kolb for the opportunity. Right before the class got ready to leave Lengyel had a few words to say to the class. He told the class how well they were behaved and how well the three boys did at calling the game.
“Getting those compliments from someone who has been in the business for so long was quite overwhelming, especially for myself not knowing much about football and (it) being the first time doing commentary,” said Hughes.
“(I had) a sense of joy and pride. I was so glad that somebody of his job caliber enjoyed how we did,” added Hall.
“When Thom gave us those compliments, I just could not stop smiling. When Thom said that we were just as good on our fourth game as those who have been calling games for four years, (it) just made me believe that this is something I can really do for the rest of my life. I hope that dream comes true,” commented Maka.
Not only did Lengyel and the rest of the class believe they did a great job, Maka, Hughes, and Hall’s teacher also believed they did exceptionally.
“I thought Kyle, Kody, and Alex did a great job. This was only the fourth game that they have called and they went above and beyond our expectations. Everyone involved with the production was impressed with what they did,” stated Harnden.
The students were able to take away many things from traveling to Ford Field. Going behind the scenes of Fox Sports is something not many people get a chance to say that they did. The class and Harden believe it was very beneficial to be able to participate in an experience like this.
“The students were exposed to a lot of aspects within media production. From press row, to the Fox Sports Detroit mobile studio, calling the game on the radio, and being allowed to see every aspect of a big stadium production really was eye opening,” explained Harnden.
The experience of traveling to Ford Field was definitely an experience that none of the class members will ever forget. Not only did they have a blast, but they learned a ton too.
“I definitely think that the trip benefited the class because we (were all able) to see things about professional broadcasting that most people can't. (Also) we (were able) to learn what it takes to make a professional broadcast,” says Maka.
The day after the program traveled to Ford Field, Lengyel emailed Harnden about C.S.T.V. Production and his view on their performance.
“... During the broadcast I knew that they were doing a good job,” expressed Thom. “So I wanted to listen to their broadcast when I got home. I could not put the mp3 player down. I did not pause it until halftime. For their fifth broadcast, listening to their preparation come out in the broadcast, changed my opinion to: THEY HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK.”
Lengyel has been in the business for many years. Having a compliment like that from a man with so much experience really hit home for the C.S.T.V. Production program.
If you would like to see what C.S.T.V. is all about, like us on Facebook, “CSTV”, follow us on Twitter “@CedarSpringsTV”, visit our website, “www.cedarspringstv.com” and make sure to watch our newscasts and listen for our play-by-play on MHSAA.TV.
C.S.T.V. Production truly wants to thank the Student Broadcast Foundation for the opportunity it was given. And a special thanks to Lengyel and Kolb for selecting C.S.T.V. and helping with advancing the program to the next level.
Hughes stated, “I can't thank the Student Broadcast Foundation and the MHSAA enough for letting our class have the opportunity to go to Ford Field and experience everything that we did. I would also like to thank our teacher Justin Harnden for turning around our TV Pro program. … Lastly, I would like to thank our class for always being there for one another and making this year memorable.”
PHOTOS: (Top) Two students call a game during the MHSAA Football Finals. (Below) Some of the students who visited Ford Field pose during a championship game. (Photos courtesy of the School Broadcast Foundation.)
