Watch XC, Football, Soccer Online
November 2, 2016
By John Johnson
MHSAA Communications Director
A pair of top-10 showdowns on the gridiron, four championship games on the soccer pitch, and the return of the Finish Line Cam at cross country will provide MHSAA Championships followers with plenty of live content online this weekend.
The weekend begins with four games in the MHSAA Football Playoffs – powered by the Michigan Army National Guard – on the PrepZone on FoxSportsDetroit.com and FOX Sports GO! on Friday (Nov. 4) at 7 p.m.:
- Allendale at Grand Rapids Catholic Central
- Grand Rapids West Catholic at Portland
- Sand Creek at Hudson
- Mendon at Climax-Scotts
Portland was the top-ranked team in the final Associated Press Division 5 poll, while Grand Rapids West Catholic was sixth. The last three meetings between these two teams were in the playoffs: West Catholic won the most recent, in 2013, 27-14 in a Pre-District game after the Raiders had downed the Falcons 12-9 in the 2012 Division 5 Final; and West Catholic won a 2010 District Final game, 38-13.
Hudson finished sixth in the Division 7 rankings, while Sand Creek was 10th. The last two meetings in this series were also in playoff settings, with Hudson winning both – 42-0 in a 2004 District Final and 29-6 in a 2003 Semifinal.
Grand Rapids Catholic Central was fifth in the final Division 4 rankings and defeated Allendale in Week 2, 35-20. Climax-Scotts is the second-ranked team in Division 8 and has played Mendon in the Pre-District or District Final in each of the past five seasons, with the Panthers winning last year’s Pre-District game, 8-6, after Mendon won the previous four meetings. The two schools were rivals in the old St. Joseph Valley League for many years.
All PrepZone games will be archived on MHSAA.tv.
Saturday’s Boys Soccer Finals will be Live on MHSAA.tv with games at Noon and 3 p.m. The games will be played at Rochester Hills Stoney Creek and Comstock Park High Schools, with matchups at each site to be announced after the Semifinals on Wednesday (Nov. 3). All games also will have live streaming audio at MHSAANetwork.com.
One Soccer Semifinal game will be Live on MHSAA.tv on Wednesday – a Division 3 matchup at Cedar Springs between Grand Rapids Catholic Central and Charlevoix, at 6 p.m.
MHSAA.tv also will offer a free live video stream Saturday of the finish line at the Lower Peninsula Cross Country Finals at Michigan International Speedway. The stream will include audio commentary from announcers around the course throughout each race. The morning session with the boys and girls races in Division 3 and 4 begins at 10 a.m., and the afternoon session with races in Divisions 1 and 2 starts at 1:30 p.m. Live timing of each race will be available on the Cross Country page of the MHSAA Website.
A subscription to watch live on MHSAA.tv is $9.95 and allows access to the full schedule of MHSAA Tournaments during the month of November:
- Nov. 5 – Boys Soccer Finals
- Nov. 5 – Selected Football Playoff District Finals
- Nov. 12 – Selected Football Playoff Regional Finals
- Nov. 17-19 – Girls Volleyball Semifinals & Finals
- Nov. 19 – Lower Peninsula Girls Swimming & Diving Finals
- Nov. 19 – Football Playoff Semifinals (12 games)
Live coverage of three Football District Finals and a pair of Girls Volleyball District games produced by SBP schools takes place this week as well on MHSAA.tv:
- Volleyball - Oxford vs. Clarkston at Lake Orion – Wednesday, 5:30 p.m.
- Volleyball - Waterford Kettering at Lake Orion – Wednesday, 7 p.m.
- Football – Montrose at Millington – Friday, 7 p.m.
- Football – Calumet at Negaunee – Friday, 7 p.m.
- Football – Escanaba at Alma – Saturday, 1 p.m.
In its eighth year, the School Broadcast Program gives members an opportunity to showcase excellence in their schools by creating video programming of athletic and non-athletic events with students gaining skills in announcing, camera operation, directing/producing and graphics.
The program also gives schools the opportunity to raise money through advertising and viewing subscriptions.
All sporting events – live or delayed – are available on a subscription basis only for their first 72 hours online. They become available for free, on-demand viewing approximately 72 hours following their completion.
Weekly highlights from games produced by participants in the MHSAA's School Broadcast Program are back for another school year on MHSAA.tv. This week's highlights include playoff football games with Clarkston Everest at Waterford Our Lady and Traverse City Central vs. Traverse City West, and a Division 2 Boys Soccer Regional Final between East Lansing and Grand Rapids Forest Hills Northern.
Schools interested in becoming a part of the School Broadcast Program should contact John Johnson at the MHSAA Office.
Today in the MHSAA: 6/5/23
By Geoff Kimmerly
MHSAA.com senior editor
June 5, 2023
2. TRACK & FIELD/GIRLS TENNIS The busiest Saturday of the MHSAA school sports calendar again saw Finals for 14 divisions of track & field and four of Lower Peninsula girls tennis provide this time 19 team champions, with a tie in Upper Peninsula Division 3 girls track. We covered all 18 events – MHSAA.com
2. BASEBALL Unranked Lake Orion enjoyed the most major upset of the weekend, downing top-ranked Orchard Lake St. Mary’s 3-2 in a Division 1 District Final – Cold Weather Bats
3. GIRLS SOCCER No. 3 Rochester Hills Stoney Creek delivered top-ranked Rochester High its lone loss, 3-1, in a Division 1 District Final – Oakland Press
4. BASEBALL Unranked Midland Dow also did its part to shake up Division 1 with a 2-1 upset of No. 2 Bay City Western in a District Final – Midland Daily News
5. SOFTBALL Division 2 top-ranked Gaylord won a matchup of favorites, 13-1 over No. 2 Escanaba before finishing the District title run with a 10-0 win over Cheboygan – Petoskey News-Review
6. GIRLS LACROSSE Grand Rapids Forest Hills Northern/Eastern repeated as a Division 1 Regional champ with a 14-11 win over Rockford – FOX 17
7. BASEBALL No. 12 Birmingham Seaholm edged No. 4 Bloomfield Hills Brother Rice 4-3 in a Division 1 District Final – Oakland Press
8. BASEBALL Unranked Grandville also repeated as a District champ with a 5-3 upset of No. 9 Jenison in Division 1 – Grand Rapids Press
9. SOFTBALL/BASEBALL The Lansing Waverly softball team and Mason baseball team celebrated their first District championships – Lansing State Journal
10. SOFTBALL Royal Oak also was a first-time District champion with its 20-9 clinching win over Berkley – Oakland Press