Alpena High School -- and more specifically its Kids and Parents United Together (KAPUT) program -- recently received a $50,000 prize from Verizon after the school received 450,000 text votes as part of the company's TXT2WIN contest.
KAPUT provides safe events and activities for teens. Although this prize isn't specifically designated for athletics, Alpena previously has been recognized for promoting school sports. The community's CHAMPS program – Community Helping Athletes Maintain Positive Sportsmanship -- received the MHSAA's SCOPE award in 2007.
Alpena, a Class A school with roughly 1,300 students, competed against schools from 15 states.
To read more, click on this link to The Alpena News.
1. GIRLS BASKETBALL Traverse City St. Francis avenged its lone Lake Michigan Conference loss with a 54-31 win over Harbor Springs – Up North Live
2. GIRLS BASKETBALL Elyssa Kincaid reached 1,000 career points in Riverview’s big win over Carleton Airport – Detroit News
3. WRESTLING Division 1 No. 2 Hartland avenged last season’s loss to Brighton with a 62-8 victory – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
4. WRESTLING Division 1 No. 4 Macomb Dakota finished a perfect run through the Macomb Area Conference Red with a 66-12 win over New Baltimore Anchor Bay – Macomb Daily
5. HOCKEY Division 1 No. 5 Hartland came back from an early deficit to get past Division 2 No. 3 Marquette 4-2 – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
6. BOYS BASKETBALL North Farmington won a key matchup in the Oakland Activities Association Red, 52-40 over Clarkston – Oakland Press
7. BOYS BASKETBALL Parker Hovey put up a triple-double in Hart’s 74-48 victory over Manistee – CatchMark SportsNet
8. GIRLS BASKETBALL Zoie Bamm put up 22 points and 25 rebounds as Brooklyn Columbia Central nearly doubled up Onsted – Jackson Citizen Patriot
9. SKIING Traverse City West swept wins at the second Big North Conference meet – Cadillac News
10. BOYS BASKETBALL St. Joseph avenged its earlier loss to Battle Creek Central with a 30-point victory – St. Joseph Herald-Palladium