The details remain hazy and there is little explanation to go with what Crystal Falls' Ed Burling accomplished on an unknown date during the 1910-11 season.
Todd Schulz tells us what is known about the MHSAA record holder for most points in a boys basketball game.
One of many great scene-setters from the former Lansing State Journal columnist:
Nearly a century later, Burling’s feat stands as the state record for points scored in a high school game by a single player. Unfortunately, the details of the game have dropped into darkness, as if they were tossed down one of the mine shafts that littered Crystal Falls’ rugged landscape.
Click "The Basketball Mystery that Endures" to read the rest at MyNorth.com.
1. BOYS SWIMMING & DIVING Holland West Ottawa – No. 6 in Lower Peninsula Division 1 – swam past honorable mention Rockford 188.5-125.5 – Holland Sentinel
2. GIRLS BASKETBALL Warren Fitzgerald downed Madison Heights Lamphere to finish a perfect run through the Macomb Area Conference Silver – Macomb Daily
3. GIRLS BASKETBALL Lansing Catholic won big over Frankenmuth, 74-42 – Lansing State Journal
4. GIRLS BASKETBALL Redford Westfield Prep came back to defeat Detroit Country Day 70-61 – MLIVE-Detroit
5. BOYS SWIMMING & DIVING Essexville Garber remained undefeated in duals with a 95-88 win over Bay City Central – Bay City Times
6. SKIING The Onekama boys and Benzie Central girls claimed Lake Michigan Ski Conference wins – Manistee News Advocate
7. BOYS SWIMMING & DIVING LPD2 No. 8 Midland Dow defeated Saginaw Heritage 120-60 – Midland Daily News
8. GIRLS BASKETBALL North Farmington remained undefeated with a 33-23 win over Berkley – Oakland Press
9. GIRLS BASKETBALL Stevensville Lakeshore continued its league title pursuit with a 55-38 win over St. Joseph – St. Joseph Herald-Palladium
10. GIRLS BASKETBALL Hannah Glover was perfect from the free-throw line down the stretch in Merrill’s 30-25 win over Coleman – Saginaw News