The details remain hazy and there is little explanation to go with what Crystal Falls' Ed Burling accomplished on an unknown date during the 1910-11 season.
Todd Schulz tells us what is known about the MHSAA record holder for most points in a boys basketball game.
One of many great scene-setters from the former Lansing State Journal columnist:
Nearly a century later, Burling’s feat stands as the state record for points scored in a high school game by a single player. Unfortunately, the details of the game have dropped into darkness, as if they were tossed down one of the mine shafts that littered Crystal Falls’ rugged landscape.
Click "The Basketball Mystery that Endures" to read the rest at MyNorth.com.
1. BOYS SWIMMING & DIVING Grand Rapids Forest Hills Northern/Eastern was first and Battle Creek Lakeview second at the 76th Cereal Bowl Relays – Battle Creek Enquirer
2. GYMNASTICS Sophia Wagner set two school records in her team’s Escanaba Elks Invitational win – Escanaba Daily Press
3. BOYS BASKETBALL Curtis Ciborski also set a school record scoring 50 points in Bloomingdale’s 77-37 victory over Martin – Kalamazoo Gazette
4. BOYS BASKETBALL Matt Mellendorf scored the game-winner as Cass City edged Saginaw Nouvel 54-53 – Saginaw News
5. BOYS SWIMMING & DIVING Essexville Garber’s Connor Dowd won the Bobcat Pentathlon by a point – Bay City Times
6. HOCKEY Division 1 No. 4 Howell opened its weekend by handing Division 3 No. 8 Hancock its first loss, 3-2 – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
7. BOYS BASKETBALL Goodrich edged reigning Division 3 champion Flint Beecher 58-55 – Flint Journal
8. HOCKEY Division 3 No. 4 Traverse Bay Reps posted an 8-1 win over Alpena – Traverse City Record-Eagle
9. HOCKEY Romeo edged Lake Orion 4-3 after scoring three second-period goals – Macomb Daily
10-. BOYS BASKETBALL Benton Harbor rode a strong second quarter to a 72-62 win over Berrien Springs – St. Joseph Herald-Palladium
Also of note …
GRAND HAVEN Grand Haven superintendent Scott Grimes, the president of the MHSAA Representative Council, will retire at the end of this school year – Grand Haven Tribune
MEDIA Longtime Macomb Daily sportswriter George Pohly is retiring after 39 years – Macomb Daily