Kate Rendi's biggest contributions to the Walled Lake Central baseball team formerly came with a pencil and scorebook.
But the Oakland Press' Keith Dunlap tells us about the inspiration Rendi is providing this spring as she battles Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
Dunlap sums it up:
Yes, her teammates no doubt appreciate her chronicling things such as doubles, stolen bases or strikeouts, but these days they appreciate even more something Rendi provides that can’t simply be written down on a scoresheet.
Instead, Rendi’s big contributions have been how she’s touched the hearts and minds of the players and been an inspiration, providing a life example that the baseball players will likely never forget.
Click below to read the entire piece:
1. HOCKEY No. 6 Sault Ste. Marie claimed a Division 3 Regional title with a 3-0 win over No. 2 Marquette – Upper Michigan’s Source
2. GIRLS BASKETBALL West Bloomfield defeated Grand Blanc, and Frankenmuth downed Detroit Edison in a pair of massive nonleague regular-season finales – WNEM
3. GIRLS BASKETBALL Olivia Flynn became Harbor Springs’ all-time leading scorer with more than 1,600 points and a season to play – Petoskey News-Review
4. BOYS BASKETBALL Clarkston Everest Collegiate claimed a Division 4 District title with a 58-48 win over Genesee Christian – WJRT
5. GIRLS BASKETBALL Trenton defeated Brownstown Woodhaven 57-44 to finish an outright championship run in the Downriver League – Southgate News-Herald
6. GIRLS BASKETBALL White Pigeon and Cassopolis shared the Southwest 10 Conference title thanks in part to White Pigeon’s 51-39 win over Marcellus – Sturgis Journal
7. GIRLS BASKETBALL Belleville claimed the overall Kensington Lakes Activities Association title with a 54-46 win over Howell – Detroit News
8. GIRLS BASKETBALL Wyoming Potter’s House Christian’s Anyieth Nhial and Hart’s Addi Hovey both went over 1,000 career points in Hart’s 54-47 win – WZZM
9. BOYS BASKETBALL Gaylord St. Mary advanced to a Division 4 District Final with a 63-60 overtime victory over Central Lake – Petoskey News-Review
10. GIRLS BASKETBALL Williamston and Grand Ledge also defeated ranked opponents, Portland and Jackson Northwest, respectively – Lansing State Journal
Also of note …
GIRLS BASKETBALL The Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan announced its Miss Basketball Award finalists – Detroit Free Press
GIRLS BASKETBALL Warren Cousino’s Kasi Pearson reached 1,000 career points in her team’s 38-35 win over Romeo – Macomb Daily
GIRLS BASKETBALL Grace Chinavare went over 1,000 career points as Sanford Meridian defeated Pinconning 64-22 – Midland Daily News
GIRLS BASKETBALL Kate Stemmer set Saline career records for assists and steals in her team’s 56-23 win over East Jackson – Ann Arbor News