By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
After a summer of seemingly cool temperatures, Wednesday felt a lot more like what we're used to for the first weeks of August.
WILX 10 from Lansing stopped in to the MHSAA office to learn more about the model heat management policy approved by our Representative Council in March, then stopped at a football scrimmage in St. Johns to speak with some mid-Michigan officials about their efforts to prevent heat illness.
Check out the WILX story here.
PHOTO: East Lansing football players stay hydrated during a practice last week. (Photo by Rob Kaminski.)
1. BOYS SWIMMING & DIVING Holland West Ottawa – No. 6 in Lower Peninsula Division 1 – swam past honorable mention Rockford 188.5-125.5 – Holland Sentinel
2. GIRLS BASKETBALL Warren Fitzgerald downed Madison Heights Lamphere to finish a perfect run through the Macomb Area Conference Silver – Macomb Daily
3. GIRLS BASKETBALL Lansing Catholic won big over Frankenmuth, 74-42 – Lansing State Journal
4. GIRLS BASKETBALL Redford Westfield Prep came back to defeat Detroit Country Day 70-61 – MLIVE-Detroit
5. BOYS SWIMMING & DIVING Essexville Garber remained undefeated in duals with a 95-88 win over Bay City Central – Bay City Times
6. SKIING The Onekama boys and Benzie Central girls claimed Lake Michigan Ski Conference wins – Manistee News Advocate
7. BOYS SWIMMING & DIVING LPD2 No. 8 Midland Dow defeated Saginaw Heritage 120-60 – Midland Daily News
8. GIRLS BASKETBALL North Farmington remained undefeated with a 33-23 win over Berkley – Oakland Press
9. GIRLS BASKETBALL Stevensville Lakeshore continued its league title pursuit with a 55-38 win over St. Joseph – St. Joseph Herald-Palladium
10. GIRLS BASKETBALL Hannah Glover was perfect from the free-throw line down the stretch in Merrill’s 30-25 win over Coleman – Saginaw News