My online travels over the last 10 days have taken me to just about every media entity in Michigan as we've been tracking down football, volleyball and soccer results. Below are some of the intriguing stories I happened upon that you might want to check out as well.
See something high school sports-related that you think others would find valuable? Send me a link at [email protected].
Reporter Katie Noble ran at the MHSAA Lower Peninsula Cross Country Finals for Kinde North Huron in 2001. She explains how her perspective has changed during the 10 years since -- something any former high school athlete can appreciate.
Although Ypsilanti Lincoln's first playoff run ever ended after just one game, it gave those fans plenty to celebrate -- and AnnArbor.com's Jeff Sainlar put together a great multimedia look at how the team made history after going 0-9 in 2010.
We hear a lot of stories of teams having two or three siblings, a set of twins or an occasional crew of triplets. But Saturday's District final at Saginaw Heritage included two teams from the same city both receiving major contributions sets of twins. Dan Chalk explained how similarities among those pairs benefited their respective teams in similar ways.
Thomas coached five sports and served as athletic director during his tenure at Saginaw High. But he's best known for leading a boys basketball power that has produced two more coaches who have gone on to win MHSAA titles. A fantastic legacy left by one of the friendliest people I've met in high school athletics, and Geoff Mott tells us about it.
The Port Huron area looks to continue to be a center for 8-player football with another solid program set to make the switch. But it's not always an easy decision, and Jim Whymer tells us why and how Deckerville decided it was time.
1. HOCKEY Goalie Ryan Nickerson was among standouts as Division 1 No. 2 Brighton defeated No. 3 Clarkston 3-1 – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
2. GIRLS BASKETBALL Braylin Johnson’s basket with 5.2 seconds to play was the difference in Mason County Eastern’s 36-34 win over Bear Lake – Ludington Daily News
3. BOYS BASKETBALL Saginaw followed TJ Stevenson Jr. to a 78-70 win over Davison – Mid-Michigan Now
4. BOYS BASKETBALL Center Line earned another close win, 60-57 over Eastpointe – Detroit News
5. GIRLS BASKETBALL Kalamazoo Central earned its first victory, downing rival Battle Creek Central 62-42 – WWMT
6. BOYS BASKETBALL Evart came back from a six-point deficit entering the fourth quarter to defeat Lake City 47-37 – Cadillac News
7. GIRLS BASKETBALL Ishpeming went on the road and defeated Gladstone 41-26 – Escanaba Daily Press
8. BOYS BASKETBALL Macomb Dakota also earned its first victory, 61-44 over Romeo – Macomb Daily
9. GIRLS BASKETBALL Riverview earned a notable nonleague victory 61-46 over Trenton – Southgate News-Herald
10. BOYS SWIMMING & DIVING Midland Dow – No. 10 in Lower Peninsula Division 2 – earned nine first places in defeating Lapeer 142-43 – Midland Daily News