Linked Up: 12/19/11
December 20, 2011
We've hit a bit of a slow spot with schools out for break and most contests reserved for holiday showcases and the like.
Here are some suggestions if you have some time for some reading between now and the start of 2012.
High school coaches try to bring basketball back to basics (Detroit News)
For most of the last decade, we've heard about the recessing of basketball fundamentals even among elite high school players. Enter Ben Kelso, Marshall Thomas and a number of other Michigan coaches who have pledged to end that trend. Tom Markowski tells us how the Metro Detroit Basketball Coaches Association aims to do so.
Lantzy retires after more than 4 decades as Ike grid coach (Macomb County Advisor & Source)
Utica-Eisenhower coach Bob Lantzy has been his school's only varsity football coach. He took four teams to MHSAA Finals and this fall became one of only nine state football coaches to win more than 900 games. He has retired after 41 seasons, and Kevin Lozon fills us in on the legacy.
Tabahn Afrik poised for greatness in pool for West Ottawa (Holland Sentinel)
The Holland area has its next big swimming star. Dan D'Addona introduces us to Tabahn Afrik, a freshman at Holland West Ottawa who qualified for the MHSAA Division 1 Finals in two events in his first meet this season.
High school basketball: History of class hoops is just that (South Bend Tribune)
"Hoosiers" made Indiana's former one-class basketball tournament known on a grander scale. But Indiana went to classes (similar to Michigan's) beginning in 1997-98. Al Lesar tells us how some in the state are attempting to revert to one class.
Today in the MHSAA: 3/23/23
By Geoff Kimmerly
MHSAA.com senior editor
March 23, 2023
1. BOYS BASKETBALL Romulus Summit Academy earned its first Semifinal trip with a 68-62 win over Chelsea in a Division 2 Quarterfinal – Southgate News-Herald
2. BOYS BASKETBALL Niles Brandywine also will play in its first Semifinal thanks to a 71-62 Division 3 win over Pewamo-Westphalia – Niles Daily Star
3. BOYS BASKETBALL Ecorse handed Laingsburg its lone loss, 57-46 in a Division 3 Quarterfinal – Southgate News-Herald
4. BOYS BASKETBALL Munising advanced to its first Semifinal since 1954 with a 52-43 win over Painesdale Jeffers in Division 4 – Marquette Mining Journal
5. BOYS BASKETBALL Flint Beecher downed Detroit Loyola 55-49 to advance in Division 3 – Mid-Michigan Now
6. BOYS BASKETBALL Saginaw is headed back to the Semifinals in Division 2 thanks to a 61-57 win over Cadillac – Saginaw News
7. BOYS BASKETBALL Detroit Cass Tech is Breslin bound thanks to a 55-49 win over Ann Arbor Huron – MLIVE-Detroit
8. BOYS BASKETBALL Frankfort edged Hillman 59-57 in a Division 4 Quarterfinal – Benzie County Record-Patriot
9. BOYS BASKETBALL Orchard Lake St. Mary’s advanced in Division 1 with a 55-44 win over Warren De La Salle Collegiate – Oakland Press
10. BOYS BASKETBALL Marine City Cardinal Mooney earned a Division 4 Semifinals berth with a 59-56 win over Taylor Trillium Academy – Port Huron Times Herald
Also of note …
BOYS BASKETBALL Grand Blanc advanced in Division 1 with a 64-44 win over Rochester Adams – WJRT
BOYS BASKETBALL Muskegon will return to Breslin thanks to a 59-43 Division 1 win over East Lansing – MuskegonSports.com
BOYS BASKETBALL Ferndale is moving on in Division 2 with a 71-66 victory over Goodrich – Oakland Press
BOYS BASKETBALL Grand Rapids South Christian advanced with a 61-38 win over Hudsonville Unity Christian in Division 2 – Grand Rapids Press
BOYS BASKETBALL Traverse City St. Francis will be returning to the Semifinals for the first time in more than a decade thanks to a 72-47 win over St. Ignace in Division 3 – Traverse City Record-Eagle
BOYS BASKETBALL Reigning champion Wyoming Tri-unity Christian will return to Finals weekend thanks to a 54-41 win over Kalamazoo Phoenix in Division 4 – Grand Rapids Press