So long, Fall. Welcome, Winter.
We're in the midst of leaving the former behind and jumping into the latter, and the stories I found this week go along with that theme.
Remember, if you find something high school sports-related that you think others would find useful or inspiring, send me a link at [email protected] and I'll check it out.
Lynn Walker has answered the Benzie Central coaching call a number of times over the last 30 years. Greg Gielczyk tells us how Walker, after retiring over the summer with 606 games to his credit, answered that call again this winter.
What goes into being part of our MHSAA Student-Advisory Council? A number of memorable experiences, and this one no doubt ranks up there. Angie Asam explains how Rogers City junior Evan Lamb gave us a hand passing out awards after the Division 6 Football Final at Ford Field.
By the unofficial count of my eyes, Marine City had the largest crowd of the 16 teams who played in the weekend's Football Final at Ford Field. Jim Whymer tells us why this was a must-see for so many fans.
Lawton’s “Core Four” of Alyssa Barkovich, Jenna Maury, Erika Whittington and Cassandra Willis have been part of two straight volleyball league titles and are going for their fourth-straight basketball league championship. Daniel Thornton takes us through some of their impressive winning streaks, including 41-straight league volleyball victories.
1. HOCKEY Traverse City West came back from three goals down to defeat Muskegon Mona Shores 4-3 in a Division 1 Regional opener – Traverse City Record-Eagle
2. HOCKEY Brendan Chateau delivered the game-winner for Utica Eisenhower with less than a minute to play in its 3-2 Division 1 Regional victory over L’Anse Creuse Unified – Macomb Daily
3. BOYS BASKETBALL North Muskegon completed its first perfect regular season in this sport with an 83-36 win over Holton – CatchMark SportsNet
4. BOYS BASKETBALL Cadillac downed Mount Pleasant Sacred Heart 64-38 in a matchup of teams with a combined record of 37-4 – Mount Pleasant Morning Sun
5. GIRLS BASKETBALL Emily Zelinko went over 1,000 career points, but St. Charles fell to Midland Bullock Creek 34-24 – Saginaw News
6. BOYS BASKETBALL Schoolcraft edged Wyoming Tri-unity Christian 55-48 in a matchup of teams with high postseason hopes – FOX 17
7. BOYS BASKETBALL Reed City advanced in the Central State Activities Association Tournament with a 60-41 win over Grant – Big Rapids Pioneer
8. GIRLS BASKETBALL Kingston downed Caro 59-25 to extend its winning streak to 16 – Mid-Michigan Now
9. BOYS BASKETBALL Cass City finished a perfect run through the Greater Thumb Conference West with a 44-43 overtime win over Bad Axe – Huron Daily Tribune
10. BOYS BASKETBALL Frankfort earned a 66-58 win over Baldwin in a matchup of teams that are a combined 30-11 this season – MI Sports Now