So long, Fall. Welcome, Winter.
We're in the midst of leaving the former behind and jumping into the latter, and the stories I found this week go along with that theme.
Remember, if you find something high school sports-related that you think others would find useful or inspiring, send me a link at [email protected] and I'll check it out.
Lynn Walker has answered the Benzie Central coaching call a number of times over the last 30 years. Greg Gielczyk tells us how Walker, after retiring over the summer with 606 games to his credit, answered that call again this winter.
What goes into being part of our MHSAA Student-Advisory Council? A number of memorable experiences, and this one no doubt ranks up there. Angie Asam explains how Rogers City junior Evan Lamb gave us a hand passing out awards after the Division 6 Football Final at Ford Field.
By the unofficial count of my eyes, Marine City had the largest crowd of the 16 teams who played in the weekend's Football Final at Ford Field. Jim Whymer tells us why this was a must-see for so many fans.
Lawton’s “Core Four” of Alyssa Barkovich, Jenna Maury, Erika Whittington and Cassandra Willis have been part of two straight volleyball league titles and are going for their fourth-straight basketball league championship. Daniel Thornton takes us through some of their impressive winning streaks, including 41-straight league volleyball victories.
1. BOYS SOCCER Walled Lake Western clinched the Lakes Valley Conference regular-season championship with a 1-1 draw with South Lyon – Oakland Press
2. VOLLEYBALL Division 3 No. 6 Traverse City St. Francis got past Division 4 No. 4 Leland 3-1 – Up North Live
3. GIRLS GOLF Monroe St. Mary Catholic Central won the Monroe County championship by 17 strokes, carding a 395 – Monroe News
4. BOYS TENNIS Terry Schwartzkopf coached his 100th Saginaw Valley League match for Midland Dow – top-ranked in Lower Peninsula Division 2 – and improved to 99-1 with his team’s sweep of Saginaw Heritage – Saginaw News
5. GIRLS GOLF Remus Chippewa Hills – No. 8 in LPD3 – carded a 381 to win the Lakeview Invitational – Big Rapids Pioneer
6. BOYS SOCCER Division 1 No. 8 Portage Central won the latest Portage Derby 3-1 over neighbor Northern – Kalamazoo Gazette
7. GIRLS SWIMMING & DIVING Midland Dow’s Emmy Sower highlighted Tri Cities Championship prelims with a meet record in the 100-yard butterfly – Midland Daily News
8. BOYS SOCCER Brighton downed rival Hartland 2-0 – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
9. BOYS SOCCER Battle Creek Pennfield scored first, but Coldwater scored the next five goals for a league win – Coldwater Daily Reporter
10. GIRLS SWIMMING & DIVING Ionia remained undefeated in dual meets with a win over Charlotte in their Purple Meet – Greenville Daily News
Also of note …
FOOTBALL For what’s believed to be the first time, an all-woman crew officiated a varsity football game in Michigan as Detroit Lincoln-King hosted Waterford Kettering – X (Twitter)