Linked Up: 12/2/11
December 2, 2011
So long, Fall. Welcome, Winter.
We're in the midst of leaving the former behind and jumping into the latter, and the stories I found this week go along with that theme.
Remember, if you find something high school sports-related that you think others would find useful or inspiring, send me a link at [email protected] and I'll check it out.
The man who couldn't say no (Grand Traverse Insider)
Lynn Walker has answered the Benzie Central coaching call a number of times over the last 30 years. Greg Gielczyk tells us how Walker, after retiring over the summer with 606 games to his credit, answered that call again this winter.
RCHS junior hands out medals on big stage (Presque Isle County Advance)
What goes into being part of our MHSAA Student-Advisory Council? A number of memorable experiences, and this one no doubt ranks up there. Angie Asam explains how Rogers City junior Evan Lamb gave us a hand passing out awards after the Division 6 Football Final at Ford Field.
Marine City supporters pack Ford Field (Port Huron Times-Herald)
By the unofficial count of my eyes, Marine City had the largest crowd of the 16 teams who played in the weekend's Football Final at Ford Field. Jim Whymer tells us why this was a must-see for so many fans.
Lawton's "Core Four" head into final season together (Paw Paw Courier-Leader)
Lawton’s “Core Four” of Alyssa Barkovich, Jenna Maury, Erika Whittington and Cassandra Willis have been part of two straight volleyball league titles and are going for their fourth-straight basketball league championship. Daniel Thornton takes us through some of their impressive winning streaks, including 41-straight league volleyball victories.
Today in the MHSAA: 5/26/23
By Geoff Kimmerly
MHSAA.com senior editor
May 26, 2023
1. GIRLS SOCCER Unranked Hartland opened Division 1 District play with a 2-1 win over No. 6 Okemos – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
2. SOFTBALL Gaylord swept Evart 11-0 and 4-1 in a matchup of top-ranked teams in Divisions 2 and 3, respectively – Cadillac News
3. BOYS GOLF Manistee – No. 9 in Lower Peninsula Division 3 – closed a West Michigan Conference championship run – Manistee News Advocate
4. SOFTBALL Division 2 honorable mention New Boston Huron defeated Flat Rock 13-4 to clinch an outright Huron League title – Monroe News
5. GIRLS SOCCER No. 3 Saginaw Valley Lutheran opened Division 4 District play with a 4-0 win over No. 14 Elkton-Pigeon-Bay Port Laker – Saginaw News
6. GIRLS SOCCER Abby Curtis scored four goals to lead Schoolcraft in a Division 4 District-opening win over Comstock – FOX 17
7. GIRLS SOCCER No. 11 Midland Dow advanced in Division 1 with a 2-1 win over Traverse City West – Midland Daily News
8. TRACK & FIELD The Romeo girls and Macomb Dakota boys won Macomb County Invitational titles – Macomb Daily Girls | Boys
9. GIRLS SOCCER No. 15 Traverse City St. Francis edged Cheboygan in a Division 3 opener – Traverse City Record-Eagle
10. GIRLS SOCCER Berkley opened Division 1 District play with a 3-1 win over Birmingham Groves – Oakland Press