Linked Up: 12/2/11
December 20, 2011
So long, Fall. Welcome, Winter.
We're in the midst of leaving the former behind and jumping into the latter, and the stories I found this week go along with that theme.
Remember, if you find something high school sports-related that you think others would find useful or inspiring, send me a link at [email protected] and I'll check it out.
The man who couldn't say no (Grand Traverse Insider)
Lynn Walker has answered the Benzie Central coaching call a number of times over the last 30 years. Greg Gielczyk tells us how Walker, after retiring over the summer with 606 games to his credit, answered that call again this winter.
RCHS junior hands out medals on big stage (Presque Isle County Advance)
What goes into being part of our MHSAA Student-Advisory Council? A number of memorable experiences, and this one no doubt ranks up there. Angie Asam explains how Rogers City junior Evan Lamb gave us a hand passing out awards after the Division 6 Football Final at Ford Field.
Marine City supporters pack Ford Field (Port Huron Times-Herald)
By the unofficial count of my eyes, Marine City had the largest crowd of the 16 teams who played in the weekend's Football Final at Ford Field. Jim Whymer tells us why this was a must-see for so many fans.
Lawton's "Core Four" head into final season together (Paw Paw Courier-Leader)
Lawton’s “Core Four” of Alyssa Barkovich, Jenna Maury, Erika Whittington and Cassandra Willis have been part of two straight volleyball league titles and are going for their fourth-straight basketball league championship. Daniel Thornton takes us through some of their impressive winning streaks, including 41-straight league volleyball victories.
Today in the MHSAA: 6/1/23
By Geoff Kimmerly
MHSAA.com senior editor
June 1, 2023
1. GOLF Kingsford’s girls won their first MHSAA Finals team title in this sport, while Houghton’s boys repeated on their side of the Upper Peninsula Division 1 championship tournament – MHSAA.com Girls | Boys
2. BOYS TENNIS Negaunee finished a near-perfect season by taking back the UPD1 championship – MHSAA.com
3. GOLF Manistique swept both team and individual championships in UPD2 – MHSAA.com Girls | Boys
4. BOYS GOLF Dowagiac claimed its first Regional title in this sport, winning in LPD3 – Niles Daily Star
5. BOYS GOLF The three team qualifiers all shot 300 or lower as Detroit Catholic Central won the LPD1 Regional at Salem Hills with a 288 – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
6. BOYS LACROSSE Muskegon Mona Shores scored the game-winner with 12 seconds to play in edging Holland West Ottawa 13-12 in a Division 1 Regional Final – FOX 17
7. BOYS GOLF Saginaw Swan Valley shot a 323 to edge Millington by two strokes and Shepherd by three at their LPD3 Regional – Saginaw News
8. BASEBALL Traverse City West completed a suspended game against Cadillac to earn a share of the Big North Conference title, with Traverse City Central the other co-champion – Traverse City Record-Eagle
9. BOYS LACROSSE Haslett scored seven unanswered goals to clinch a Division 2 Regional title against Midland Dow, 10-3 – Mid-Michigan Now
10. BOYS LACROSSE Brighton edged South Lyon 8-6 in a Division 1 Regional Final – Livingston Daily Press & Argus