One of the newest additions to the Lansing State Journal is its Michigander section, which each week highlights great reasons to enjoy life in our home state.
And last week's section declared what we've always felt -- that high school football is weaved into our communities, both big and small.
The Michigander section has a photo-blast layout that immediately draws readers, and like most any online product that's lost some in reproduction. But the message is the same -- and we're big fans of it.
1. GIRLS GOLF Brighton – top-ranked in Lower Peninsula Division 1 – carded a 299 to clinch the Kensington Lakes Activities Association postseason tournament championship, with No. 2 Plymouth finishing second after the scores of the two league tournaments were combined – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
2. VOLLEYBALL Division 1 No. 8 Byron Center defeated honorable mention Lowell 3-1 in their Bite Cancer match – FOX17
3. GIRLS SWIMMING & DIVING LPD3 No. 3 Milan earned an impressive 114-69 win over No. 8 Dundee – Monroe News
4. VOLLEYBALL Division 2 No. 3 Lake Odessa Lakewood pulled away for a 3-1 win over honorable mention Lansing Catholic – Lansing State Journal
5. BOYS SOCCER North Farmington sits atop to Oakland Activities Association Blue thanks to a 2-1 win over Pontiac – Oakland Press
6. VOLLEYBALL Kent City delivered Reed City’s first Central State Activities Association loss this season, in five sets – Big Rapids Pioneer
7. BOYS SOCCER Division 2 No. 7 Fruitport posted its fifth-straight shutout, 5-0 over Grand Rapids Covenant Christian – MuskegonSports.com
8. CROSS COUNTRY Battle Creek Lakeview swept its All-City championship races – Battle Creek Enquirer
9. CROSS COUNTRY The LPD4 No. 9 Buckley girls and Benzie Central boys won the second Northwest Conference jamboree races – Cadillac News
10. GIRLS GOLF LPD1 No. 6 Rockford and East Kentwood’s Elise Fennell were victorious at the final Ottawa-Kent Conference Red jamboree – FOX17