Tim Flahive has battled diabetes for all but a few years of his life. But he's also filled half of those years with high school sports as a longtime official based in the Muskegon area.
The Muskegon Chronicle's Mark Opfermann tells the story of Flahive's final basketball game last week -- and makes us appreciate even more the significant role our officials fill to no fanfare.
A powerful excerpt:
He left the court with no fanfare, took off his whistle and shed a few tears.
But Flahive's story isn’t just about sports and an official leaving the hobby he loves. It’s about courage, getting back up and pressing on.
So, I guess it’s a lot like sports after all. But it’s a whole lot more about life.
That’s because when Flahive took the court last week, he did it with half of his left foot missing.
1. HOCKEY Division 1 top-ranked Detroit Catholic Central downed No. 2 Brighton 7-1 to highlight the KLAA-MIHL Showcase; of note, the Bulldogs were without multiple all-staters – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
2. WRESTLING Hastings finished first and Montague second at the East Jackson Girls Wrestling Tournament – CatchMark SportsNet
3. HOCKEY Division 1 No. 4 Hartland defeated Division 2 top-ranked Bloomfield Hills Brother Rice 3-1 also at the KLAA-MIHL Showcase – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
4. WRESTLING White Pigeon went 5-0 at the Lansing Waverly Invitational, earning coach Jay Sosinski his 400th win along the way – Sturgis Journal
5. GIRLS BASKETBALL Gabby Piepho made a school-record eight 3-pointers to lead Howell past Farmington Hills Mercy 60-59 – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
6. BOWLING Coldwater’s girls earned a three-peat at the Trojan Baker Bash with a championship match win over Coloma – Coldwater Daily Reporter
7. HOCKEY Division 3 No. 7 Marquette finished a weekend sweep of No. 10 Sault Ste. Marie with a 4-2 victory – Upper Michigan Source
8. HOCKEY Division 3 No. 8 Hancock downed Division 2 No. 7 Saginaw Heritage 5-2 – Houghton Daily Mining Gazette
9. BOYS BASKETBALL Josiah Brabson went over 1,000 career points as Burt Lake Northern Michigan Christian downed Boyne Falls 64-38 – Cheboygan Daily Tribune
10. WRESTLING Reed City went 4-1 at the Big Rapids Invitational as twins Izaiah and Elijah Lentz both earned their 100th career victories – Big Rapids Pioneer