LaMarr Woodley was a football star at Saginaw High long before he went on to the University of Michigan and now the Pittsburgh Steelers.
He's given students in his hometown the same opportunity for accomplishment without the cost they would've otherwise incurred this school year.
Students at Saginaw and Saginaw Arthur Hill plus the districts junior highs and middle schools were facing a $75 participation fee until Woodley stepped in earlier this month with a $60,000 donation.
Hugh Bernreuter has covered the majority of Woodley's career, and tells this story.
1. GIRLS GOLF Cheboygan shot a program-record 365 to win its invitational by three strokes – Cheboygan Daily Tribune
2. BOYS SOCCER Division 2 No. 2 Holland Christian downed No. 12 Holland High 3-0 – Holland Sentinel
3. GIRLS GOLF Adrian shot a 365 to win the Lenawee County championship by 51 strokes – Adrian Daily Telegram
4. BOYS SOCCER Nolan Sanders scored his eighth game-winning goal this season, sending Carleton Airport past Flat Rock 4-3 in a Huron League Tournament opener – Monroe News
5. VOLLEYBALL Edwardsburg swept Division 3 No. 10 Buchanan in nonleague play – Niles Daily Star
6. BOYS SOCCER Division 4 No. 7 Madison Heights Bishop Foley pulled within a victory of clinching the Catholic League Intersectional 2 title with a 1-0 win over Royal Oak Shrine Catholic – Oakland Press
7. BOYS SOCCER Ludington sits alone atop the West Michigan Conference standings thanks to a 4-2 win over Fremont – Ludington Daily News
8. BOYS SOCCER Logan Korson reached 30 goals for the season with both in Midland Bullock Creek’s 2-0 win over Ithaca – Midland Daily News
9. VOLLEYBALL Division 2 No. 8 Three Rivers swept St. Joseph – Sturgis Journal
10. BOYS SOCCER Division 2 No. 15 Linden held off Owosso for a 3-2 victory – Owosso Argus-Press