By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
A few more Michigan high school hockey teams faced off for the first time Wednesday, while we waved good-bye to a well-regarded coach and learned about the inspiration behind one of our football finalists.
Each weekday during the school year, we’ll gather and post media links covering the most significant and intriguing high school events from all over the state.
Cadillac was among the next wave to start its season Wednesday, handing a 9-2 loss to Traverse City-based co-op Bay Area Reps – Cadillac News
Fans watching the MHSAA 8-Player Football Final on Friday will notice a pink ribbon on the backs of Deckerville players’ helmets as they honor someone who has influenced them and the coaches who lead their program – Huron Daily Tribune
Coach Will Cleaver has been a face of high school football in Gaylord for two decades, and has stepped down from the Blue Devils for the second time after previously leading the team to its first playoff berth and more recently back to the postseason – Gaylord Herald Times
1. BOYS BASKETBALL Cass City’s Carter Patrick reached 1,000 career points in his team’s 59-31 season-opening win over Sandusky – Bay City Times
2. HOCKEY Division 2 No. 5 Warren De La Salle Collegiate came back from three goals down to defeat Riverview Gabriel Richard 5-4 in Catholic League Bishop playoff action – Macomb Daily
3. BOYS BASKETBALL Saginaw Swan Valley opened a new court with a new coach and a 57-39 win over Midland – Saginaw News
4. HOCKEY Gladwin improved to 1-0-1 in its first season with a 5-5 tie against Petoskey – MI Sports Now
5. HOCKEY A big third period helped Division 3 No. 2 Flint Powers Catholic move past Division 2 No. 7 Bay City 5-1 – WJRT
6. BOYS BASKETBALL Landon Kulawiak scored 32 points as Buckley downed Mesick 60-37 – Traverse City Record-Eagle
7. BOYS BASKETBALL Central Montcalm moved to 2-0 with a 50-37 win over Carson City-Crystal – Greenville Daily News
8. HOCKEY Midland downed Bay Area 7-2 to improve to 2-0 – Midland Daily News
9. HOCKEY Holland West Ottawa evened its record with a 4-2 win over Muskegon Reeths-Puffer – FOX 17