By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Much usually changes from the start of a season to its end.
But August provides a great opportunity for the state’s best to see how they stack up against each other before locally-focused league competition gets underway.
Today's list of links includes some of those results.
Nate Carey won last season’s MHSAA Upper Peninsula Division 1 Final in 17:19.1, with Escanaba’s Joey Wolfe third at 17:28. But Wolfe edged Carey at Tuesday’s Munising Invitational – Escanaba Daily Press
Bay City Western only tied Flushing 2-2 on Wednesday, but did so coming back from two goals down to remain undefeated – and with senior Tyler Fulco netting his 14th goal already this season – Bay City Times
East Grand Rapids fell in its District opener in Division 2 last season, but played reigning Division 3 champion Hudsonville Unity Christian to a 3-3 draw Wednesday – Grand Rapids Press
Midland’s teams enjoyed a perfect Wednesday, with Midland High defeating Holt, Grand Blanc and Traverse City West and Dow taking down Okemos and Holly to move to 5-0 this fall – Midland Daily News
Longtime official Jerry Hendrickson, 78, will begin his 53rd and final season tonight, surrounded by three sons on his crew at Houseman Stadium – Grand Rapids Press
The Lansing Eastern football varsity is 27-126 since its last winning season in 1997, and with a new coach starts again in an attempt to bring success back to a proud program – Lansing State Journal
1. WRESTLING Division 4 No. 4 Bronson opened the season with a sweep of Division 2 No. 6 Stevensville Lakeshore and Battle Creek Pennfield – Coldwater Daily Reporter
2. HOCKEY Traverse City West defeated Division 2 No. 8 Central on the ice for the first time since 2018, 2-1 – MI Sports Now
3. BOYS BASKETBALL Elkton-Pigeon-Bay Port Laker ended Standish-Sterling’s 32-game regular-season winning streak, 52-48 – Bay City Times
4. HOCKEY Division 2 No. 7 Saginaw Heritage picked up a key Saginaw Valley League win, 5-3 over Midland Dow – WJRT
5. WRESTLING Central Montcalm opened with a win in front of a school assembly, downing Carson City-Crystal 57-13 – Greenville Daily News
6. BOYS BASKETBALL Undefeated North Muskegon dealt the first loss this winter to Manistee, 52-47 – Local Sports Journal
7. GIRLS BASKETBALL Flint Carman-Ainsworth opened with a 65-52 win over Lansing Waverly – Mid-Michigan Now
8. WRESTLING Division 4 Nio. 7 Union City opened its season with wins over East Jackson and Battle Creek Harper Creek – Coldwater Daily Reporter
9. WRESTLING Reed City started with wins over Clare and Mount Pleasant, the former 33-31 – Big Rapids Pioneer
10. GIRLS BASKETBALL Warren Fitzgerald held off Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse 52-45 – Macomb Daily