This week we introduce Rogers City junior Evan Lamb. He’s coming off an excellent winter that included helping his team to the Division 4 Team Wrestling Quarterfinals and then finishing fourth at 130 pounds at the Division 4 Individual Finals with a final record of 54-8. He has a career record of 154-25 after three seasons.
Evan Lamb, Rogers City junior
- Sports: Football, wrestling, baseball
- Non-sports activitiy: Youth wrestling coach
- Favorite class: Chemistry
- Must-see TV: "Family Guy”
- One shining moment: Placing sixth at the Individual Finals in wrestling as a freshman in a relatively senior-dominated bracket (125 pounds).
- What’s next: I’ll more than likely attend Alpena Community College, then move on to a university to pursue a degree in physical therapy. And if an opportunity comes, I’ll play sports.
- My favorite part of game day is: ... wearing our game jerseys to school and receiving the 'good lucks' throughout the day.
PHOTO: Rogers City junior Evan Lamb (left) competes during the MHSAA Team Wrestling Finals earlier this winter at Battle Creek's Kellogg Arena. (Photo courtesy of High School Sports Scene).
Kaylee Draper ♦ Sturgis
Junior ♦ Swimming
Draper joined teammates Kenzy Triezenberg, Ainsley Gump and Emma Garbine to swim the 200-yard medley relay in 1:55.53 on Sept. 7 against Hastings, breaking a school record from 1997. Draper also won the 50 freestyle with a Finals cut time of 25.47 seconds as Sturgis won the dual 92-69. Two days later, she swam on the winning 200 medley again and the 200 freestyle relay and was second in the 50 butterfly as the Trojans won the Mason Sprint Invitational.
She helped Sturgis finish 28th at last season’s Lower Peninsula Division 3 Finals, placing eighth in the 100 backstroke and 14th in the 50 freestyle and swimming on the 15th-place 200 freestyle relay. She also runs cross country during the fall and is a pole vaulter and thrower on the track & field team.
@mhsaasports 🏊♀️POW: Kaylee Draper #tiktalk #questiontime #part2 #subway #michaelphelps #energetic #swim #candy #laughing #emoji #performanceoftheweek #mistudentaid #fyp #MHSAA ♬ original sound - MHSAA
Follow the MHSAA on TikTok.
MHSAA.com's "Performance of the Week" features are powered by MI Student Aid, a part of the Office of Postsecondary Financial Planning located within the Michigan Department of Treasury. MI Student Aid encourages students to pursue postsecondary education by providing access to student financial resources and information. MI Student Aid administers the state’s 529 college savings programs (MET/MESP), as well as scholarship and grant programs that help make college Accessible, Affordable and Attainable for you. Connect with MI Student Aid at www.michigan.gov/mistudentaid and find more information on Facebook and Twitter @mistudentaid.
Past 2023-24 Honorees
(PHOTOS courtesy of the Sturgis Journal.)