All-Time Leading Scorer Allen Ready to Set Pace for Wayne Memorial's Title Pursuit
By
Keith Dunlap
Special for MHSAA.com
February 20, 2026
WAYNE — Jaylohn Allen insisted making such history wasn’t one of his goals when he started his varsity basketball career as a freshman.
Given that, it made the moment all the more special last week.
During a game against Harvey Thornton (Ill.) on Valentine’s Day, Allen and the Wayne Memorial community loved seeing a 30-year-old record broken by Allen, who became the boys basketball program’s all-time leading scorer.
Allen surpassed the 1,748 career points scored by former Michigan State player Lorenzo Guess, who finished his career in 1996.
“To be the all-time leading scorer at Wayne Memorial High actually wasn’t one of my goals coming in as a freshman,” Allen said. “And honestly I didn’t really think I was going to pass it because 1,700 points is a lot of points, per se. To do that as a kid who grew up with many accomplishments and dreams I wanted to have was a joy. I thought 1,000 points was surreal, but the record meant so much more.”
Signed to play in college for Toledo, Allen certainly has meant a lot to Wayne Memorial over the past four years, and he hopes to make even more history for the Zebras over the next few weeks.
Allen is averaging nearly 23 points a game this season and is determined to try and get Wayne Memorial back to the Division 1 championship game, where it loss last year to East Lansing.
When the Zebras accepted the Finals runner-up trophy, they obviously had immediate reason for optimism given Allen and fellow backcourt mate Carlos Medlock – a Michigan State signee – were only juniors.
But Medlock threw a major wrinkle into Wayne Memorial’s title ambitions when he decided over the offseason to transfer to a prep school in Missouri.
“I found out maybe a week before he posted on social media,” Allen said of Medlock’s decision. “There were rumors about it, but I didn’t really think he was going to leave. It was a shock, but I was still ready to attack the senior season regardless of what happened and look forward to the senior season with or without him.”
Allen has certainly done that and more.
Instead of pouting or looking to leave himself, Allen treated Medlock’s departure as a chance to prove he was a worthy Mr. Basketball Award candidate this winter.
Over the summer, he worked to get in terrific shape and continued to not only hone his on-court talents, but became an even more vocal leader to younger players coming back.
“It put me into a bigger role and let people see I can score the ball even more than I’ve been doing the past three years,” Allen said. “It put a fire in me and some motivation that I could be more of the man with the ball.”
One person not surprised that Allen adapted so well without Medlock was Wayne Memorial head coach Steve Brooks.
“He’s pretty much always been the man; he just hadn’t been the leading scorer all the time,” Brooks said.
Allen said there were adjustments playing without his running mate of the last three years, especially when trying to get out in transition.
“Being on the floor and not seeing (Medlock) on the other side of the court and being able to swing it to him — it was just a connection in transition or any other core set that we had,” Allen said. “(The adjustments were) just realizing he’s not on the court and having to utilize my other teammates and making sure they are getting everything they need.”
There was a major scare in December, just before the holiday break, when Allen left a game with a knee injury after he took a charge.
“We thought he was lost for the year,” Brooks said.
But the injury was only a bone bruise, and Allen missed just 13 days and has been an unstoppable force since.
To Brooks, it’s obvious who should be Mr. Basketball.
“Mr. Basketball traditionally is for what you’ve done for your career and not just for a season,” Brooks said. “Over his career, he’s at 19 points a game. Him and Medlock both had 1,000 career points before Christmas of their junior year.”
While Mr. Basketball would be nice and the scoring record is an honor, there is one main purpose for Allen, and that is to get another shot at the Division 1 title that eluded Wayne Memorial last year.
The Zebras enter tonight’s Kensington Lakes Activities Association championship game 18-3 and carrying a 10-game winning streak.
“I want them to get there more than me,” Allen said of his teammates. “I want them to show me how much they want to be there so when it comes down to it, we’re ready for it.”
Keith Dunlap has served in Detroit-area sports media for more than two decades, including as a sportswriter at the Oakland Press from 2001-16 primarily covering high school sports but also college and professional teams. His bylines also have appeared in USA Today, the Washington Post, the Detroit Free Press, the Houston Chronicle and the Boston Globe. He served as the administrator for the Oakland Activities Association’s website from 2017-2020. Contact him at [email protected] with story ideas for Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties.
PHOTOS (Top) Wayne Memorial’s Jaylohn Allen (5) makes his way through his teammates during introductions before last season’s Division 1 Final at Breslin Center. (Middle) Teammates help Allen up from the floor during the Zebras’ Semifinal win.
Muskegon's Martin 'Back and Better Than Ever,' Ready to Make Up for Lost Time
By
Tom Kendra
Special for MHSAA.com
December 4, 2025
If toughness is a key criteria, then Muskegon senior James Martin might have a leg up on the rest of the Mr. Basketball Award field.
Martin, a 6-foot-4 guard/forward who has committed to the University of Detroit Mercy, returns as the spark for a young, but deep, Muskegon team after missing the final 13 games last season with a broken left arm.
“I think he is back and better than ever,” said 14th-year Muskegon coach Keith Guy, who coached back-to-back Mr. Basketball winners in Deshaun Thrower (2014) and Deyonta Davis (2015).
“A lot of people kind of forgot about James because he’s been out. He is so tough and so versatile. He does whatever we need him to do.”
Martin hasn’t played for the Big Reds since Jan. 17, when he crashed to the floor during the first minute of their rivalry game at Muskegon Mona Shores and landed awkwardly on his left arm, resulting in two broken bones.
While the entire packed gym grimaced at the somewhat grotesque injury, Martin actually tried to keep going – briefly.
“I got up and was trying to put the bone back and fix my arm, running up the court,” the soft-spoken Martin recalled. “But then I started getting dizzy and went down.”
Martin had surgery the next morning in hopes of possibly being able to return last season, but the injury was too severe. The injury took its toll on Martin physically (he now has two plates and 14 screws in his arm), but even more so mentally and emotionally.
“At first, it was hard for me to even be around basketball because I wanted to be playing so bad,” Martin explained. “But the thing is, I’ve never really sat on the bench during games, so I felt like I learned a lot when I was out, just watching from a different perspective.”
Muskegon recovered from the loss of its star player and put together 10 straight wins at the end of last season before losing to Rockford in a Division 1 District Final on a 3-pointer at the buzzer.
The Big Reds won 20 games last season for the 11th time in Guy’s 13 seasons as head coach, which has been highlighted by two championship game appearances – a 91-67 win over Bloomfield Hills in Class A in 2014 to complete a perfect 28-0 season and a 78-63 loss to Detroit Cass Tech in Division 1 in 2023.
This year’s team has hopes of getting back to the Breslin, led by the multi-talented Martin and a young, but extremely talented, supporting cast.
“James can honestly play anywhere from the 1 to the 5 at the high school level,” said Guy, noting that Martin was shooting 40 percent from the 3-point line last year before his injury. “He is a four-year varsity player who has the toughness and the work ethic that the rest of his teammates respect.”
Martin actually received three Division I college offers (Central Michigan, Bowling Green and Western Michigan) during the summer following his freshman year, when he averaged just five points and two rebounds per game in a support role.
His production increased to nine points, five rebounds and two assists per game his sophomore year, and he was off to a fast start last year as a junior, averaging 16 points, seven rebounds and three assists through 10 games.
Now, he is determined to make the most of his return to the court for his senior year.
“My role this year is to attack the basket hard and get downhill as much as I can,” Martin said. “If people collapse on me, I can either draw a foul or kick it back out to my teammates.”
Among those waiting on the wings will be underclassmen marksmen Tyson Worthington, a 6-3 junior, and AJ Lambers, a 6-1 freshman, along with senior leaders Arquez Petty and Ehman Guster.
Guy said one of the strengths of this team entering the season is its long-range shooting.
“Having those guys out on the arc who can knock it down really spaces the floor and allows James and our other athletes to get to the basket,” said Guy, who is assisted on the varsity level by Josh Wall, Thrower and Takarri Churchwell. “I would say our depth and our shooting are big strengths going into this season.”
The Big Reds also have good size along the front line with senior Ky’ren Noble (6-5), juniors Ethan Matthews (6-6) and Jayvon Burmeister (6-4) and sophomore William Whyms (6-5).
Muskegon fans will have to wait until Dec. 12 to see their team play, as the Big Reds open at home against Upper Peninsula power Marquette before playing three holiday tournament games against Grand Ledge, Detroit University Prep and Ferndale. The Big Reds have won four consecutive Ottawa-Kent Conference Green championships and 11 league titles over the past 12 years.
Guy anticipates an exciting winter at Muskegon’s historic Redmond-Potter Gymnasium with Martin and also a legitimate Miss Basketball Award candidate in Mariah Sain, who coincidentally also missed more than half of last season with an injury.
“I love this group, and we are ready to get going,” said Guy, who stopped scheduling games for the first week of the regular season after Muskegon’s football team made the championship game in seven of eight years from 2012 to 2019.
“When James got injured last year, I looked down and every single kid on the bench was crying. Believe me, this is a big deal to these guys, and they are thankful every day to come into the gym and play the game of basketball.”
Tom Kendra worked 23 years at The Muskegon Chronicle, including five as assistant sports editor and the final six as sports editor through 2011. E-mail him at [email protected] with story ideas for Muskegon, Oceana, Mason, Lake, Oceola, Mecosta and Newaygo counties.
PHOTOS (Top) James Martin (1) puts up a shot from the top of the key during Muskegon’s matchup with Lansing Everett last season. (Middle) The 6-foot-4 Martin is returning this winter after missing more than half of last season with an injury. (Photos by Tim Reilly.)