2 Quarterbacks Vault Muskegon to #1
November 1, 2016
By Tom Kendra
Special for Second Half
Stopping the Muskegon High School offense has never been easy.
This year, it’s twice as tough.
The Big Reds, 9-1 and ranked No. 1 in the season-ending Associated Press Division 3 poll, are attacking opponents with a two-headed monster at quarterback – diminutive senior Kalil Pimpleton (5-7, 160) and physically imposing junior La’darius Jefferson (6-2, 210).
“I’m blessed with two great men, two great leaders, at quarterback,” said seventh-year Muskegon head coach Shane Fairfield, whose team won the Ottawa-Kent Conference Black title. “Using both of them makes us a better team. We don’t go into games with a specific plan for when each will play (quarterback). We see what the defense is doing and how our kids are responding and go from there.”
The result of the dual QB attack has been a Muskegon offense which is averaging 54 points and 428 total yards per game heading into Friday night’s Division 3 District championship game against visiting East Grand Rapids (8-2).
Pimpleton, who has run a 4.4 in the 40-yard dash and has verbally committed to Virginia Tech, has started all 10 games for the Big Reds.
He is primarily a running threat, regularly taking snaps out of the pistol formation from senior center Devin Sanders and then finding a seam somewhere along the line to squeeze through. “KP,” as he’s known, has carried 101 times for 1,081 yards and 17 rushing touchdowns. He also has been effective through the air, completing 34 of 66 passes for 639 yards and six more TDs.
“I look at the system we use as a chance for me to use all of my weapons,” said Pimpleton, who also has three punt returns for touchdowns on his resume. “It doesn’t matter if I am at QB or in the slot. My character doesn’t change, and my focus doesn’t change.”
As good as Pimpleton has been, there have been times in recent years where opponents have bottled up Muskegon’s running quarterbacks.
One example was the 2014 Division 3 championship game at Ford Field, where Orchard Lake St. Mary’s shut down the Big Reds in a 7-0 victory. Another was last year’s Division 2 Regional championship game at Lowell, where Pimpleton and the Muskegon attack got stuck in the mud in a 36-7 loss.
If that same scenario begins to unfold this fall, Muskegon offensive coordinator Brent White has a Plan B.
And what a Plan B it is.
Jefferson, who has the look of Cam Newton and the big arm to match, presents a whole new set of challenges for opposing defenses when he enters the game, which is normally around the Big Reds’ third offensive series. Jefferson brings a deep vertical passing threat, mixed with the size and strength to run over linebackers.
“I always tell myself that I can’t be stopped – that’s the mentality I like to play with,” said Jefferson, who also has delivered some big hits this fall during limited playing time at outside linebacker. “I just want to thank my coaches for using a two-QB system. Now we’ve got two hungry guys trying to win a state title.”
The benefits of Muskegon’s dual quarterback offense were apparent in last week’s 63-14 Division 3 Pre-District victory over visiting Grand Rapids Forest Hills Northern.
Muskegon’s offense struggled briefly in the early going before Jefferson ignited the Big Reds and their crowd with a 56-yard TD pass to Pimpleton, who had moved out to slot receiver. Near the end of the first quarter, Jefferson scored on a 2-yard run.
In the second quarter, it was back to Pimpleton at QB and he led a scoring drive, ultimately sprinting in from five yards out. And then it was back to Jefferson, who hit standout senior wide receiver Jacorey Sullivan on a 44-yard bomb over the top to complete Muskegon’s first-half scoring.
“The idea is that we have a system and our kids know how to play with either quarterback,” explained Fairfield. “If we do it right, it puts much more pressure on the defense, not knowing what they are going to get.”
Jefferson finished the win over Forest Hills Northern 7 of 8 passing for 175 yards and three touchdowns, along with 11 rushes for 91 yards and two more touchdowns. For the season, Jefferson has completed 42 of 69 passes for 724 yards and 15 touchdowns, against just two interceptions. He has rushed 66 times for 534 yards and 10 TDs.
The two quarterbacks are by far Muskegon’s top two rushers in an offense that lines up with four receivers on most downs. The lone starter in the backfield is senior Division I linebacker prospect Andrew Ward (6-1, 210), who is a devastating lead blocker. In recent weeks, the Big Reds have started to hurt opponents with jet sweeps featuring speedy juniors Da’vion McCall, Clinton Jefferson and Lonnie Clark Jr.
Fairfield, whose team has ripped off eight straight wins after a Week 2 loss to pass-happy Lincolnshire (Ill.) Stevenson, has guided Muskegon to MHSAA Finals three times in his first six years as head coach. The Big Reds have failed to take that final step on each of those occasions, falling to Birmingham Brother Rice in 2012 and 2013 and Orchard Lake St. Mary’s in 2014.
Given that recent heartbreak, the Big Reds have made it clear since Day 1 that the only acceptable outcome this season is an MHSAA title. The next challenge is a dandy matchup in Friday’s District championship game between two of the top tradition-rich programs in Michigan high school football history.
Muskegon is the state’s winningest with 816 wins and 17 state titles, including five in the MHSAA playoff era. East Grand Rapids, meanwhile, has won 11 championships since the playoffs began in 1975, including five in a row from 2006 to 2010. The Pioneers have won seven straight this fall after stumbling to a 1-2 start.
The two powers have played only two times in history, with Muskegon winning both times.
“We need to come out and play our game,” said Pimpleton. “We believe in our coaches and that they will put us in the best spots to win. That’s really all that matters. We can’t lose sight that no matter who is out there, that is our one goal.”
Tom Kendra worked 23 years at The Muskegon Chronicle, including five as assistant sports editor and the final six as sports editor through 2011. E-mail him at [email protected] with story ideas for Muskegon, Oceana, Mason, Lake, Oceola, Mecosta and Newaygo counties.
PHOTOS: (Top) Muskegon quarterback La'darius Jefferson picks up yards on the ground this season against Byron Center. (Middle) Kalil Pimpleton, here following through on a pass, also is a threat to run. (Jefferson photo courtesy of Muskegon football program, Pimpleton photo by Tim Reilly.)
Generations of Jonesville Reunite to Say Good-Bye to Old Field, Await New
By
Doug Donnelly
Special for MHSAA.com
November 11, 2025
As the old saying, and more recent song lyric goes, "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."
A new era of Jonesville football will begin next fall when the Comets begin playing on a new field at a new sports complex on the high school campus.
It’s a new beginning. But, before that new era was launched, the Comets had one final game on its old football field this fall – a nearly 75-year-old relic that sits just outside Jonesville Middle School.
“I have a lot of memories of playing on that field,” said Comets football coach Frank Keller. “It’s been home to a lot of big games, good times.”
The final home game on the field was Week 8 against Vandercook Lake. Keller temporarily relinquished his play-calling duties when his former head coach – and recent Michigan High School Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame inductee – Greg Morrison came to the sidelines for a series after some convincing from his former player.
Morrison showed he hadn’t lost his touch. The third and final play he called – “tight end delay” – went for a touchdown.
“It was one of his favorite plays,” Keller said. “He called it, and we scored. It couldn’t have gone any better. He got to call the last touchdown on the old field.”
About a year ago, an anonymous donor gave a $4 million donation to the school to build a new track and football field, along with an accompanying concession stand and restrooms. The field is in a picturesque spot, tucked among trees.
The donation came from a Jonesville family that has had four generations of athletes play sports for the Comets. Athletic director Jeff Turner said the family stepped forward when it became apparent it would be difficult for the district to pass a bond issue or a new tax to fund such a large-scale project.
"We are certainly grateful for them coming forward," Turner said. "We couldn't have done this without them. They wanted to help the school district and the community, and we are fortunate that we are able to build such a nice facility."
The track will be ready for events this spring. Sod was laid on the football field, inside the track, this fall and has been mowed a few times. New bleachers were constructed on both sides of the field recently, and the concession building is almost ready for business.
It’s a dramatic change for the district.
The current football field has been in use for decades and was home to league championship teams, playoff games and more great Jonesville memories.
“Growing up as a kid I always watched football games, there and I played there,” Keller said. “I have mixed feelings about it. It’s great to get a new facility, but sad to see the old one go.”
Morrison recalled a game during his coaching tenure when the opposing team hid in the nearby woods, and then just before kickoff came running onto the field.
Jonesville won by several touchdowns. Clearly the ploy didn’t exactly work out as intended.
“It was a great field to play,” Morrison said. “It was unique.”
These days, Jonesville is a Division 7 football school with an enrollment of 299 students. The Comets play in the Cascades Conference West and went 6-4 this season, falling in the first round of the playoffs.
The football team has been in the playoffs four of the past seven seasons, went 9-0 during the regular season in 2019 and has 16 playoff appearances.
Keller graduated from Jonesville in 1999. He was on the Comets varsity for three seasons, from 1996-1998. Turner is a Jonesville graduate as well. He said several past players, cheerleaders and band members returned to the field for its final game, stirring a lot of memories.
“I don’t know how much of the game I got to watch that night,” Turner said. “It was great to catch up with a lot of people I may not have seen in quite a while. It was great.”
Turner said the athletic complex will be great for the district.
“It looks wonderful,” he said. “Our kids are excited about running track this spring and playing on the new field. Everyone is excited about it.”
As with any new facility, the complex is creating a buzz around athletics at Jonesville.
“We’re hoping we get more kids out just because they want to play on the new field, maybe even get new kids to the school,” Keller said. “We’re hoping it helps bring in more kids. Track looks awesome. The whole facility looks great.
“For us to get a new facility like that is unbelievable.”
Doug Donnelly has served as a news and sports reporter at the Adrian Daily Telegram and the Monroe News for 30 years, including 10 years as city editor in Monroe. He's written a book on high school basketball in Monroe County and compiles record books for various schools in southeast Michigan. He is now publisher and editor of The Blissfield Advance, a weekly newspaper. E-mail him at [email protected] with story ideas for Jackson, Washtenaw, Hillsdale, Lenawee and Monroe counties.
PHOTOS (Top) Jonesville players take the field for their final home game last month at their now former field. (Middle) Past Jonesville players line up with retired coach Greg Morrison during the final game. (Below) Jonesville’s new stadium sits under the lights and will be ready for the spring track & field season. (Photos courtesy of the Jonesville football program.)