5-0 Oakridge Healing 2018 Heartbreak

October 2, 2019

By Tom Kendra
Special for Second Half

Muskegon Oakridge had an extra reason to celebrate in the rain on Friday night.

It was about more than just overcoming sloppy conditions and the never-say-die Montague Wildcats in a matchup of No. 1 vs. No. 2 in The Associated Press’ Division 5 rankings. There was more to it than getting a leg up in the West Michigan Conference race with a thrilling 15-13 overtime win.

This was about overcoming two of the most heartbreaking losses imaginable one year ago – and dedicating the win to those who never got a shot at redemption.

“That win was for those seniors from last year,” said Oakridge running back Leroy Quinn, a four-year starter who rushed for both of his team’s touchdowns and a game-high 144 yards, putting him over 4,000 rushing yards for his career. “I love those guys, and I miss them. We all grieved together last year, and now we’re celebrating for them.”

Oakridge led Montague in their 2018 meeting 24-10 with 3:45 remaining, when the Wildcats roared back with two touchdown passes and then a game-winning, 2-point conversion run by Sebastian Archer with no time on the clock for a 25-24 win.

It was the type of gut-wrenching loss which is hard to shake off.

“It’s a helpless feeling,” said Oakridge senior nose guard and offensive tackle Will Scraver. “The only thing you can do is try to forget and focus on the next game.”

Unfortunately, less than one month later, Oakridge would experience an even more bitter defeat. The Eagles’ second loss had finality as it came in the MHSAA District championship game, as they squandered a seemingly safe 35-8 halftime lead in a stunning 40-37 loss to Hudsonville Unity Christian. Adding salt to the wound was having to sit home and watch Unity then roll over its next three opponents en route to the Division 5 championship.

“Sometimes it’s hard to put those losses behind when you have umpteen people coming up to you at the store or the gas station asking you what the heck happened,” said Harger, who is in his ninth year as the Oakridge coach after serving for 16 years under Jack Schugars, the all-time winningest coach in Muskegon-area football history.

“All we can do, as coaches and players, is to learn from our mistakes and to take care of all the little things so that we win those kind of games.”

Oakridge, 5-0 and now No. 1 in Division 5 in the latest Associated Press poll, has been focused and motivated this fall – starting with a tough road test at Belding and most recently with the big revenge win at Montague.

Oakridge and Montague were scoreless through three quarters and tied, 7-7, after regulation. Quinn scored from three yards out in overtime, then added what proved to be the game-winning 2-point conversion run. Montague answered with a 10-yard pass from Drew Collins to Brennan Schwarz, but Nate Fair and Corey Vanderputte stuffed the 2-point conversion attempt.

Quinn, a 6-foot-1, 233-pound battering ram, has led the way with 465 rushing yards and eight touchdowns. He now has 4,065 career rushing yards, eclipsing David Nelson’s previous school record, and needs five more rushing TDs to pass Jamie Potts for that school mark.

Quinn’s play thus far has been no surprise, but how quickly others have stepped up in the backfield and on the line is the reason why Oakridge is back to No. 1 in the state.

Junior quarterback Ethen Dailey (5-11, 145) has done a solid job managing the Eagles’ offense, and speedy sophomore Vanderputte has emerged as the breakaway threat.

But it was the play of the offensive line, where Fair is the only returning starter, that keyed the win at Montague.

Oakridge, which lined up in a double tight end, full-house backfield look most of the game and threw only two passes (completing none), finished with a 222-70 edge in rushing yards.

“With the tradition out here, there are always new players ready to step up,” said Fair, who also starts at inside linebacker. “We might not have a lot of big names on the line, but we knew we were going to be good.”

Four of the Eagles’ five interior linemen are seniors, with the lone exception sophomore center Derek Driscoll. The guards are seniors Josh Havermans and Jason Pego and the tackles are Fair and Scraver. Starting at tight end are junior Luke Martin and sophomore Ethan Josza.

Harger is not ready to start talking about avenging last year’s playoff loss, as his team still has tough games remaining at North Muskegon in Week 7 and the final two weeks of the regular season at home against Ravenna and first-time opponent Traverse City St. Francis.

Oakridge could also have a couple of new playoff challenges close to home. While the Eagles appear a lock to be in Division 5, they may be joined by resurgent neighbor Muskegon Orchard View (on the bubble of Division 4 and 5) and Montague (on the Division 5 and 6 bubble).

“Our motto this year is: ‘Exceed Expectations’ and, considering the group we lost last year, these guys have done that so far,” said Harger, who is 75-16 and has made the playoffs in each of his first eight years as head coach.

“This is not a real rah-rah group of kids. I think they just love to play football and with the way last year ended, they are thankful for the opportunity to come out and play again.”

Tom Kendra worked 23 years at The Muskegon Chronicle, including five as assistant sports editor and the final six as sports editor through 2011. E-mail him at [email protected] with story ideas for Muskegon, Oceana, Mason, Lake, Oceola, Mecosta and Newaygo counties.

PHOTOS: (Top) The Oakridge sideline celebrates late in the Eagles' 15-13 overtime win at Montague. (Middle) Oakridge senior Leroy Quinn, who became the school's all-time leading career rusher earlier this season, runs through a big hole into the end zone for a touchdown. (Photos by Tim Reilly.)

Students Make Championship Calls

By John Johnson
MHSAA Communications Director emeritus

December 16, 2013

It’s a great thrill each Thanksgiving weekend for those schools that make the trip to the Finals of the MHSAA Football Playoffs at Ford Field. 

For the players, they get to occupy the same space as some of their professional favorites did just hours earlier… names like Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford … Joe Buck, Troy Aikman and Pam Oliver.

Buck, Aikman and Oliver?!!?!?

Joining the 16 schools playing the games this year were about 70 students from five other schools getting the experience of a lifetime on their own Ford Field trip as they got insights into the world of professional sports broadcasting.

The newly-founded Student Broadcast Foundation and the MHSAA partnered to provide the same kind of access the media covering the Finals get – and then some. Students visited various parts of Ford Field, including touring the Game Creek Video FX remote television facilities – the same production unit used for the Detroit Lions-Green Bay Packers contest on Thanksgiving Day, which will also originate FOX Sports’ Super Bowl XLVIII coverage at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., in February.

Some of the students were able to meet with media in attendance at the Finals to have their pictures taken and ask questions about careers in sports broadcasting and journalism.

Students, faculty advisors and parent-chaperones from the following schools took part in the experience: Cedar Springs, Davison, Detroit U- D Jesuit, Hillman, Warren DeLaSalle, Birmingham Brother Rice, Montrose and Detroit Catholic Central. Cedar Springs had the largest contingent with 28 students, with a parent covering the travel expenses for the group. Its experience is recapped in this embedded video.

"The whole experience at Ford Field was tremendous for our CSTV students,” said Justin Harnden, a teacher from Cedar Springs. “They were welcomed by the Student Broadcast Foundation, MHSAA, and Ford Field with open arms. Every student that attended had nothing but great things to say about everything. Seeing first-hand what it takes to put on such a big event will truly be beneficial to us as we all go forward in making our program better.”

Hillman had the second largest group with 17 students out of a student body of 151 from this school in Montmorency County, about 35 miles west of Alpena. “Absolutely outstanding job by your kids. You all made the best of your opportunity. Way to go! Your program just woke up a lot of people,” Hillman school board president Brad McLaren said in a text after the event to instructor Erin Brege.

Other videos were produced by students from Davison, Hillman and Montrose, and links to their productions are shown below. You can check out photos from the activities by visiting the Student Broadcasting Foundation’s Facebook page. Also, click to see videos shot by Davison and Montrose that now appear at MHSAA.TV.

“In the many years that Tom Skinner, Ken Kolb and I have been involved with broadcasting high school sports on radio and cable TV, this year’s Football Finals weekend was the most inspiring, satisfying, fun weekend working with these talented students and their dedicated instructors,” said Thom Lengyel, one of the founders of the Student Broadcast Foundation, a private non-profit organization.

Students from the participating schools also took part in calling the action of the eight championship games on the MHSAANetwork.com website, where an average of 250 people clicked in per contest. Calling the games were:

  • Cedar Springs - Kyle Maka, Kody Hall, Alex Hughes (Division 1)
  • Davison - Shawn Bednard, Chris Jared, Brandon Snyder (Division 7)
  • Detroit U-D Jesuit - Jack Sznewjas, Chris Houle (Division 8)
  • Hillman – Mike Klein, Kyle McLaren, Noah Allen, Bubba Banks (Division 4)
  • Warren DeLaSalle -  Brendan Johnson, Jake O'Donnell (Division 2)
  • Birmingham Brother Rice – Miles Hampton, Jeremy Otto - Mentor (Division 6)
  • Detroit Catholic Central – Joesph Trojniak, Adam Abraham - Mentor (Division 5) 

Several of the schools involved also are part of the MHSAA’s Student Broadcast Program, which produced nearly 1,000 events during the fall sports season for the MHSAA.TV Website.

Read more about Hillman's experience here in reports from the Alpena News and WBKB-TV. And read on for a report on Cedar Springs' experience by student reporter Kendra Coons. 

C.S.T.V. Production Program “Hits it out of the park” at Ford Field

Change.

It’s a word that many people don’t deal with well. In this case, it was for the better at Cedar Springs High School.

 In 2012, drama teacher, Justin Harnden took over the television program at CSHS. The second he took it over many changes were made to the C.S.T.V. program. The program bought brand new cameras, computers, TVs, and much more. He started working on getting his students to film sporting events, work on Public Service Announcements, capture the latest news in the school; and for the biggest change, start announcing play-by-play.  

“We are here to put out more than just news for our school and community. We are doing sports, award shows, graduation, Red Flannel things, and much more. We are destined for great things,” expressed Harnden.

With one year under his belt, Harnden started to submit C.S.T.V.’s work to the MHSAA. After the fall season of 2013, Thom Lengyel and Ken Kolb, who are a part of the Student Broadcast Foundation, heard C.S.T.V. production students Kyle Maka and Kody Hall perform play-by-play for one of Cedar Springs’ football games. After listening to the both of them, Lengyel contacted Harnden and offered for Maka, Hall, and the rest of the class to come down to Ford Field. Lengyel explained to Harnden that the trip to Ford Field would give the class a chance to receive a behind-the-scenes look at what goes on during a broadcast and give Maka and Hall a chance to call the Division 1 championship high school football game.

On Saturday, Nov. 30 the C.S.T.V. Production program traveled out of their little town of Cedar Springs, Michigan, to face the big town of Detroit, Michigan. The day started out with the students boarding the bus at 8:15 am for a three-hour drive to the east side of the state. Once the students stepped off the bus they received their press passes. This gave them full access to walk out onto the field and sit in press row. Once the class arrived at Ford Field, they traveled up to the seventh floor to meet Lengyel. Lengyel then introduced the class to Kolb, showed them where Fox Sports does all of their announcing, and showed them where press row was located. After all of that was done, it was time for Maka and Hall to announce play-by-play for the Division 1 championship. Another member of C.S.T.V. also received a chance to announce play-by-play for the game, Alex Hughes.

Coming from a town with an estimated 3,500 people, the three boys were not used to a big stage. A lot of the community would annually attend our high school football games, but nothing to the caliber of what the three boys were about to announce.

“Doing the play-by-play was just amazing. I felt on top of the world. It was the best experience of my life,” commented Maka.

“It was honestly a feeling that I've never felt before ... It almost didn't seem real at first, but once I opened up (to) the environment I had an amazing time,” stated Hughes.

While the three boys were announcing play-by-play, the rest of the class received the opportunity to walk onto the field and sit in press row. After the game the students received the chance to walk through the Fox Sports trailers. These trailers are where all of the action happens. Being able to walk through these trailers was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the C.S.T.V program.

“I thought looking around the Fox Sports Detroit mobile studio was eye opening. Seeing two of the three trucks that will handle all the production aspects of the Super Bowl was really great. We were able to see all that goes on in that setting, and we were amazed by it,” explains Harnden.

“Getting to tour Fox Sports was crazy because normally the behind the scenes work isn't seen at all, so that opportunity was perfect for the class,” said Hall.

After the students toured the buses, they all headed back up to the seventh floor to grab their things, say their goodbyes, and thank Lengyel and Kolb for the opportunity. Right before the class got ready to leave Lengyel had a few words to say to the class. He told the class how well they were behaved and how well the three boys did at calling the game.

“Getting those compliments from someone who has been in the business for so long was quite overwhelming, especially for myself not knowing much about football and (it) being the first time doing commentary,” said Hughes.

“(I had) a sense of joy and pride. I was so glad that somebody of his job caliber enjoyed how we did,” added Hall.

“When Thom gave us those compliments, I just could not stop smiling. When Thom said that we were just as good on our fourth game as those who have been calling games for four years, (it) just made me believe that this is something I can really do for the rest of my life. I hope that dream comes true,” commented Maka.

Not only did Lengyel and the rest of the class believe they did a great job, Maka, Hughes, and Hall’s teacher also believed they did exceptionally.

“I thought Kyle, Kody, and Alex did a great job. This was only the fourth game that they have called and they went above and beyond our expectations. Everyone involved with the production was impressed with what they did,” stated Harnden.

The students were able to take away many things from traveling to Ford Field. Going behind the scenes of Fox Sports is something not many people get a chance to say that they did. The class and Harden believe it was very beneficial to be able to participate in an experience like this.

“The students were exposed to a lot of aspects within media production. From press row, to the Fox Sports Detroit mobile studio, calling the game on the radio, and being allowed to see every aspect of a big stadium production really was eye opening,” explained Harnden.

The experience of traveling to Ford Field was definitely an experience that none of the class members will ever forget. Not only did they have a blast, but they learned a ton too.

“I definitely think that the trip benefited the class because we (were all able) to see things about professional broadcasting that most people can't. (Also) we (were able) to learn what it takes to make a professional broadcast,” says Maka.

The day after the program traveled to Ford Field, Lengyel emailed Harnden about C.S.T.V. Production and his view on their performance.

“... During the broadcast I knew that they were doing a good job,” expressed Thom. “So I wanted to listen to their broadcast when I got home. I could not put the mp3 player down. I did not pause it until halftime. For their fifth broadcast, listening to their preparation come out in the broadcast, changed my opinion to: THEY HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK.”

Lengyel has been in the business for many years. Having a compliment like that from a man with so much experience really hit home for the C.S.T.V. Production program.

If you would like to see what C.S.T.V. is all about, like us on Facebook, “CSTV”, follow us on Twitter “@CedarSpringsTV”, visit our website, “www.cedarspringstv.com” and make sure to watch our newscasts and listen for our play-by-play on MHSAA.TV.

C.S.T.V. Production truly wants to thank the Student Broadcast Foundation for the opportunity it was given. And a special thanks to Lengyel and Kolb for selecting C.S.T.V. and helping with advancing the program to the next level.

Hughes stated, “I can't thank the Student Broadcast Foundation and the MHSAA enough for letting our class have the opportunity to go to Ford Field and experience everything that we did. I would also like to thank our teacher Justin Harnden for turning around our TV Pro program. … Lastly, I would like to thank our class for always being there for one another and making this year memorable.”

PHOTOS: (Top) Two students call a game during the MHSAA Football Finals. (Below) Some of the students who visited Ford Field pose during a championship game. (Photos courtesy of the School Broadcast Foundation.)