Muskegon Grad Casts 'Magic' in HBO Series

June 15, 2020

By Tom Kendra
Special for Second Half

The last time many people saw Quincy Crosby was during his final high school football game at Ford Field back in 2012, when the 6-foot-3, 280-pounder was a senior captain for Muskegon High School.

Chances are most didn’t notice him, since he was doing the unheralded dirty work as the starting center for the Big Reds, who lost a 35-28 heartbreaker to Bloomfield Hills Brother Rice that day in the MHSAA Division 2 Final.

The next time many see Crosby, he will be front and center, and impossible to miss, showing off an entirely different skill set.

Crosby, 24, has transformed from bruising lineman to up-and-coming Hollywood star, who last year landed a dream role as Michigan’s own Earvin “Magic” Johnson in the upcoming HBO series focusing on the Los Angeles Lakers’ “Showtime” era of the 1980s.

“I’m just a kid from Muskegon; now I’m playing Magic on a TV show. How cool is that?” said Crosby, who played football and was a theater major at Kalamazoo College after his prep days. “I guess this is the big break I’ve been waiting for my whole life. Every part I didn’t get was worth it to get this one.”

The show, which is being produced by former Lakers standout Rick Fox, was originally titled “Showtime.” But that name was scrubbed when it was picked up by HBO, a competing network with Showtime. Right now, the series is referred to by the generic, “Untitled Lakers Project.”

The one-hour limited series drama is based on Jeff Pearlman’s book “Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s.” The Untitled Lakers Project is described by HBO as a fast-break series chronicling the professional and personal lives of the 1980s Los Angeles Lakers, one of sports’ most revered and dominant dynasties—a team that defined its era, both on and off the court.

The series features some big names, including John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss, Solomon Hughes as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Jason Clarke as Jerry West. In the cast list, Crosby goes by his stage name of Quincy Isaiah – which are his first and middle names, respectively.

The series was expected to debut this month to coincide with the NBA Finals, but production delays due to Covid-19 and the suspension and uncertainty of the NBA season have pushed that tentative starting date back to June, 2021.

The delay hasn’t kept Crosby off Cloud 9.

Crosby landed the part in early June of last year, and in the days following that announcement, he went to Game 5 of the NBA Finals, where Fox introduced him to celebrities like Jalen Rose, Jerry West and Common. Then he hung out in Las Vegas for some NBA summer-league games, where the stargazing continued. He has yet to meet Magic, but expects that to happen soon.

“Everyone is telling me this is a game-changer, that this is going to be huge,” Crosby said. “I’m just so thankful for the opportunity.”

Catching the bug

Muskegon High School football coach Shane Fairfield wasn’t surprised to learn that his former team captain and three-year varsity player had earned a leading role in a television show – but as a basketball star?

“I said: ‘Basketball? You ain’t got no game!” Fairfield said with a laugh. “But the reality is, that role was kind of made for him. Quincy has that charisma and that big, amazing smile, just like Magic.”

Crosby’s transition from one of the “Brothers of Destruction” on the Big Reds’ offensive line to thespian actually began a few months after that crushing loss to Brother Rice.

That game started Muskegon’s incredible run of seven football Finals appearances in eight years, and the Big Reds have the winningest program in state football history and rank No. 7 in the nation with 859 wins (dating back to 1895). But the school had not been able to put on a spring musical in more than 20 years due to budget cuts.

But that spring, in a stroke of fortune, the school was selected in NBC’s 2013 “Smash” Make A Musical contest and awarded funding to put on the classic musical, “Thoroughly Modern Millie.”

Crosby said theater director Karli Baldus talked him into trying out for the show, and he landed the comical part of Ching Ho.

“I caught the bug, big time,” Crosby recalled with a laugh. “I thought it was the best thing.”

He also noticed parallels right away with football, with both requiring hours and hours of practice and repetition in preparation for game time – or show time.

“When I was playing football, I wouldn’t be able to think about anything else and I would just get zoned out on what I had to do on the line,” said Crosby. “It’s the same thing in acting. You practice until you know it by heart, and then you get out there and just let it go. Acting is all instincts.”

Crosby took acting classes at Kalamazoo, but due to football, never had enough time to be part of the big productions.

That all changed after performing a sketch in his television production class his junior year. He got pulled aside by his professor, who told Crosby he saw major acting potential in him and encouraged him to get more involved his senior year.

That heartfelt plea led Crosby to not only quit the football team after three years as a starter on the offensive line, but also to change his major from business to theater. He then blossomed on the stage his senior year, working behind the scenes in the fall production of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” before earning major roles of Walter Lee Younger in “Raisin In The Sun” and Benny in “In The Heights.”

Finding the Magic

Shortly after graduating from K-College in 2017 with a theater degree, Crosby made his way to Hollywood to pursue his acting dream, only to find it was a bumpy road – to say the least.

Crosby was able to land small roles in short productions like “Corporate Coffee” and “Anomaly,” but his bid for major roles was met by rejection after rejection.

In those moments, he said, his background as an offensive lineman at Muskegon got him through.

“I learned to embrace the grind playing football at Muskegon,” said Crosby, the son of Delores Crosby and the late Gregory Crosby, who died when Quincy was just 3 years old. “You know, being an offensive lineman helped too. You get blamed when things go wrong and none of the praise when things go right, so you learn to just stay in your bubble and grind.”

His Hollywood experience nearly ground to a halt in early 2019, and he was about to enlist in the Navy when his agent and fellow Muskegon native Terrance Williams helped him land the audition that would change his life.

Ironically, he didn’t even get a script until the day of the audition and while others had memorized their lines, Crosby read directly from the script. He still landed a callback for the lead role of Magic and, six days later, he was ready and brought his “A game.”

“Walking out of the callback, the casting director told me to keep my phone close because that was a really good audition,” said Crosby.

The only thing left was a basketball audition with Fox in a high school gym, which clinched the role, Crosby said.

Fox and Crosby then started making the Hollywood rounds before shooting the pilot in October, after which the series was picked up by HBO in November. After a lengthy delay due to Covid-19, the plan is to shoot the first year of the series this fall, starting when Magic was drafted by the Lakers out of Michigan State in 1979.

One benefit of the delay is that it has given Crosby time to watch reams of old Magic footage and try to capture his nuances – on and off the court.

“The good thing about playing Magic is that there is so much video and footage of him out there,” said Crosby. “There’s so many things I’ve picked up – the way he walks and the way he always says ‘right’ after sentences. I’m getting better and better at it.”

Meanwhile, back in Muskegon, the Big Reds’ coaching staff is continuing its year-round quest to get more players into college and prepared for life after high school. Fairfield said he can’t wait to have his team watch the Lakers series and see one of their own in a starring role.

“Quincy is an example to our kids that there are so many avenues to success,” Fairfield said. “Making the NFL is one-in-a-million. What we emphasize is that you take what you learn here – hard work, discipline, perseverance, humility – and you apply it to anything you want to do in life.”

This is the first installment in a weekly summer “Made in Michigan” series catching up with this state's past high school athletes as they continue their stories.

Tom Kendra worked 23 years at The Muskegon Chronicle, including five as assistant sports editor and the final six as sports editor through 2011. E-mail him at [email protected] with story ideas for Muskegon, Oceana, Mason, Lake, Oceola, Mecosta and Newaygo counties.

PHOTOS: (Top) Quincy Crosby plays Magic Johnson in an upcoming HBO series. (Middle) Crosby, now seven years after graduating from Muskegon High. (Below) Crosby, far right, heads to midfield with his teammates for the coin flip before the 2012 Division 2 Final at Ford Field. (Top and middle photos courtesy of Quincy Crosby. Below photo by Tim Reilly.)

Capac Ends 14-Year Postseason Drought, Eager to Begin 8-Player Playoff Run

By Paul Costanzo
Special for MHSAA.com

October 29, 2025

Not having the option to qualify for the 8-player postseason wasn’t something the Capac football concerned itself with the past three seasons.

Bay & ThumbEnrollment was too high at the school to be included in the MHSAA playoff field, and while the 2024 team most certainly would have made it, co-coach Troy Schneider said that since there was nothing that could be done about it, the players weren’t really concerned with it.

But this year, with the opportunity finally there, it lit a fire under the Chiefs.

“It was very motivating for us,” Capac senior quarterback Brody Tesnow said. “All summer, we had decent numbers show up to workouts. Our senior group was really pushing everyone. Our coaches have been on us all year, telling us this is our year that we can do this. I mean, really, we had a decent season last year, and I just feel like that pushed me more to come back this year and be even better.”

Capac is back in the playoffs for the first time since 2011, and at 7-2 is coming off its best regular season since 2001.

That year, the Chiefs advanced to the Division 5 Semifinals. This year’s run will start Friday night with a matchup at Brown City in 8-Player Division 1. A win would be the program’s first in the postseason since 2009.

“I’d love that,” Tesnow said. “That would be a great feeling for us, all the seniors. I remember that win over Deckerville (in Week 8), that was a surreal feeling. I could only imagine what a playoff win would feel like, especially after 14 years of not being in the playoffs.”

It’s been a long road for Capac, which has now had its first back-to-back winning seasons since running off four straight from 2008-11.

Enrollment at the school was near its height back then, peaking at 613 in 2008 before starting a steady decline. It first dipped below 400 in 2015, and by 2020 it was under 300.

That, naturally, led to a decline in football participation as well, and the team was unable to complete the 2020 season, a year where nearly everyone was granted access to the postseason because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

After a 1-8 run in 2021, with a total school enrollment of 211, Capac made the decision to switch from 11-player to 8-player. In each of its first three seasons under the new format, Capac was over the 215-student limit for competing in the postseason. This year, the school is at 203.

Sam Schneider (22) carries the ball and follows his Chiefs blockers as they attempt to create an opening against the Eagles.“I didn’t have any decision in that, but our numbers had dropped steadily for a number of years in the school,” said Schneider, who had coached at Capac in 2000s, and took over as varsity coach with Bill Nestle in 2024. “When we came out of the (Blue Water Area Conference), we were a small school, and we were getting pretty well destroyed. Once we moved into the other conference (Greater Thumb), we were with Ubly and Harbor Beach, and I wasn’t coaching at the time, but those are some really good teams, too. There were quite a few people who did not want to make a move to 8-man, but the writing was on the wall with the numbers at the school and the numbers in the football program. It’s been a good move for us. Obviously, a lot of schools have gone to that in the last five years.”

When the program moved to 8-player in 2022, the current senior class was entering high school. Schneider and Nestle had been coaching that group in middle school, and it had shown quite a bit of promise. 

There are currently 15 seniors on the varsity team, and while there are only 18 players total on the roster, the junior varsity and middle school programs are thriving, which has people in the high school program optimistic about a future that was pretty uncertain not long ago.

“We’ve got some potential coming up – things are looking pretty good,” Schneider said. “The junior group is small, so they’re going to have small numbers next year as seniors, but the three juniors we have are starters. The next three to four years, it should stay steady and we should be solid.”

But there’s still plenty of work to be done this year, and Capac is confident heading into the postseason despite the fact it lost to Brown City 61-22 in Week 3. 

Much of that confidence comes from that Week 8 win against 2024 8-Player Division 1 champion Deckerville. The 28-20 triumph ended Deckerville’s 20-game win streak, as it had not lost since the 2023 Semifinals. It was the first regular-season loss for the Eagles since Sept. 29, 2023.

“Starting the season we went kind of slow, but beating Deckerville told us that we were on that top tier,” senior defensive end and tight end Wiley Roose said. “I mean, after that game, it was crazy. To me, it was definitely the highlight of my sports career in high school. The whole team really came around.”

Beating Deckerville is an accomplishment in its own right, but the fact the Eagles had this season defeated Brown City and Kingston – which delivered Capac’s two losses – was another boost of confidence for the Chiefs, who are ready to show how far they’ve come this fall.

“We watched some film from the game (against Brown City) earlier in the season, and we were just comparing what we were then to how we are now,” Tesnow said. “It’s a huge difference. I’m pumped. We’re proving everyone wrong, and I love that feeling of being the underdog and surprising people.”

Tesnow and his teammates are hoping to continue doing that, but what they’ve done already to get the Capac program back on the right track is a massive accomplishment in itself.

“Coach Nestle and I care about all our players, but seeing these kids develop for five years, go through school, go through some of the losing seasons early in middle school then slowly build and get better – I can think of a number of kids and how they improved with being more aggressive, being tougher and taking the next step,” Schneider said. “It’s really nice to see the kids develop through the program. It’s been sweet. It’s that much better because it’s a great group of kids. They’re wonderful.”

Paul CostanzoPaul Costanzo served as a sportswriter at The Port Huron Times Herald from 2006-15, including three years as lead sportswriter, and prior to that as sports editor at the Hillsdale Daily News from 2005-06. He can be reached at [email protected] with story ideas for Genesee, Lapeer, St. Clair, Sanilac, Huron, Tuscola, Saginaw, Bay, Arenac, Midland and Gladwin counties.

PHOTOS (Top) Capac huddles up during the closing minutes of its Week 8 win over Deckerville. (Middle) Sam Schneider (22) carries the ball and follows his Chiefs blockers as they attempt to create an opening against the Eagles. (Photos courtesy of the Capac football program.)