Offseason Work Begins as Gobles Continues Building on Successful Reboot
By
Pam Shebest
Special for MHSAA.com
November 14, 2023
GOBLES — Football season may be over for players at Gobles High School, but the Tigers do not have much time to relax.
For coach Greg Eichler, the season never really ends.
The Tigers made it to the MHSAA 8-player Division 1 Regional Finals before losing to reigning champion Martin two weeks ago.
While some of his athletes are preparing for their various winter sports, Eichler has been sitting down with players and coaches to “identify what went well, what didn’t go well this season and what are we going to do to address those things.
“For our kids, it’s setting goals athletically and academically. What are they looking to do the rest of the school year in their other sports and classroom and as individuals, as human beings? Our goal is to make sure that they grow in that aspect more than anything.”
Eichler also will talk with his coaches to “figure out what our shortcomings were and how we can improve on that in the offseason and make 2024 even better.”
That’s just the beginning for the third-year coach.
“In November and December, it’s equipment and helmet reconditioning, our banquet, sending out thank yous to our sponsors,” Eichler said.
“I’m going to communicate with our alumni. I always send out a state of the program, a whole write-up of what we’ve done and where we’re going.”
With his coaches, Eichler will evaluate game film and break it down, finalize stats and plan offseason workouts with the Tigers’ two strength and conditioning coaches.
“In January and February, there’s a whole bunch of other stuff,” he said. “That’s clinic season, that’s going to listen to other coaches, visit other staff, learn new things we can bring back to Gobles among a million other things.”
Starting from scratch
When Eichler – who is also the district’s K-12 assistant principal – took over the 8-player football program in 2021, he had just 10 varsity players.
The team folded after seven weeks.
“We had to start from scratch as far as building a winning mentality,” he said. “It started with getting in the weight room and lifting, getting bigger, getting stronger, getting faster. Building that winning mentality so that when we step on the field, we expect to win.
“Our kids had to learn how to raise the bar against those better opponents.”
This year’s team, with 24 players, made strides toward the ultimate goal – a state championship to go with the program’s 11-player Class D title won in 1984.
The Tigers finishing 8-3, defeated Mendon for the first time since 2005 and advanced a round further in the playoffs after losing in a Regional Semifinal a year ago.
“Progress is being made,” Eichler said. “It didn’t end the way any of us really wanted, but it’s going to make us stronger, make us better. It’s going to motivate us going into 2024.”
Building on experiences, setting examples
One player who brings MHSAA Finals experience to the team is junior Mason Mansfield. He placed eighth at the Division 4 Individual Wrestling Finals last season at Ford Field.
“Wrestling actually prepares you for football,” said Mansfield, whose winter season starts this week. “You’ve got to be tough in wrestling – six minutes tough. You’ve got to be tough to wrestle, especially to place and finish in the top of the top at Ford Field.”
While he wrestled at 150 pounds last year, he has moved up to 165 for this season. Eichler said Mansfield is one of the top athletes at the school.
“He is energetic and brings that into our locker room and our team,” he said. “Other kids feed off that.
“He’s very positive and brings an attitude of ‘we can overcome any challenge.’ He enjoys facing really good competition, and I think that wears off on the rest of the team and helps us elevate our play.”
Another junior, Jackson Geiger, will begin practice on the varsity basketball team next week.
“I feel like right now I’d rather be playing football because I have two weeks to spare until basketball starts,” said Geiger, who expects improvements from this season’s basketball team coming off of a 4-19 finish.
“Last year (basketball) was more of a bonding experience,” he said. “We played really well in practice, but at game time didn’t really show up.”
As for football, Eichler said Geiger embodies the "Tiger Way."
“Jack is an extremely hard worker,” he said. “He really dedicated himself to the weight room, so I thought he brought that work ethic.
“He leads by example. He’s great in the classroom. Not only on the field, but off the field, he’s a great role model.”
After playing varsity football this season, sophomore Nathan Ray will play junior varsity basketball. He started the 2022 football season on the junior varsity before being called up to varsity for the last two games of the season.
“The players (on varsity) are a lot stronger and faster,” he said. “It’s a different level of athleticism, but the game is still the same.”
Eichler said Ray is very coachable.
“Nathan puts his head down and works,” the coach said. “He’s great on and off the field and great in the classroom. He’s dedicated himself to the weight room and has committed to making himself better every day.”
Looking back on the football season, Eichler said: “I’m really proud of how far our program has come.
“If you look back two years ago, we barely could field a team. And now we’re a Regional finalist.”
Pam Shebest served as a sportswriter at the Kalamazoo Gazette from 1985-2009 after 11 years part-time with the Gazette while teaching French and English at White Pigeon High School. She can be reached at [email protected] with story ideas for Calhoun, Kalamazoo and Van Buren counties.
PHOTOS (Top) Gobles junior Jackson Geiger (74) squares up to make a block during his team’s game against Concord this season. (Middle) Clockwise from top left: Gobles coach Greg Eichler, Geiger, Mason Mansfield and Nathan Ray. (Below) Mansfield, left, wrestles during the first round of last season’s Individual Finals at Ford Field. (Top photo by Kathie Brown/Creative Photography. Head shots by Pam Shebest. Wrestling photo by High School Sports Scene.)
Capac Ends 14-Year Postseason Drought, Eager to Begin 8-Player Playoff Run
By
Paul Costanzo
Special for MHSAA.com
October 29, 2025
Not having the option to qualify for the 8-player postseason wasn’t something the Capac football concerned itself with the past three seasons.
Enrollment was too high at the school to be included in the MHSAA playoff field, and while the 2024 team most certainly would have made it, co-coach Troy Schneider said that since there was nothing that could be done about it, the players weren’t really concerned with it.
But this year, with the opportunity finally there, it lit a fire under the Chiefs.
“It was very motivating for us,” Capac senior quarterback Brody Tesnow said. “All summer, we had decent numbers show up to workouts. Our senior group was really pushing everyone. Our coaches have been on us all year, telling us this is our year that we can do this. I mean, really, we had a decent season last year, and I just feel like that pushed me more to come back this year and be even better.”
Capac is back in the playoffs for the first time since 2011, and at 7-2 is coming off its best regular season since 2001.
That year, the Chiefs advanced to the Division 5 Semifinals. This year’s run will start Friday night with a matchup at Brown City in 8-Player Division 1. A win would be the program’s first in the postseason since 2009.
“I’d love that,” Tesnow said. “That would be a great feeling for us, all the seniors. I remember that win over Deckerville (in Week 8), that was a surreal feeling. I could only imagine what a playoff win would feel like, especially after 14 years of not being in the playoffs.”
It’s been a long road for Capac, which has now had its first back-to-back winning seasons since running off four straight from 2008-11.
Enrollment at the school was near its height back then, peaking at 613 in 2008 before starting a steady decline. It first dipped below 400 in 2015, and by 2020 it was under 300.
That, naturally, led to a decline in football participation as well, and the team was unable to complete the 2020 season, a year where nearly everyone was granted access to the postseason because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
After a 1-8 run in 2021, with a total school enrollment of 211, Capac made the decision to switch from 11-player to 8-player. In each of its first three seasons under the new format, Capac was over the 215-student limit for competing in the postseason. This year, the school is at 203.
“I didn’t have any decision in that, but our numbers had dropped steadily for a number of years in the school,” said Schneider, who had coached at Capac in 2000s, and took over as varsity coach with Bill Nestle in 2024. “When we came out of the (Blue Water Area Conference), we were a small school, and we were getting pretty well destroyed. Once we moved into the other conference (Greater Thumb), we were with Ubly and Harbor Beach, and I wasn’t coaching at the time, but those are some really good teams, too. There were quite a few people who did not want to make a move to 8-man, but the writing was on the wall with the numbers at the school and the numbers in the football program. It’s been a good move for us. Obviously, a lot of schools have gone to that in the last five years.”
When the program moved to 8-player in 2022, the current senior class was entering high school. Schneider and Nestle had been coaching that group in middle school, and it had shown quite a bit of promise.
There are currently 15 seniors on the varsity team, and while there are only 18 players total on the roster, the junior varsity and middle school programs are thriving, which has people in the high school program optimistic about a future that was pretty uncertain not long ago.
“We’ve got some potential coming up – things are looking pretty good,” Schneider said. “The junior group is small, so they’re going to have small numbers next year as seniors, but the three juniors we have are starters. The next three to four years, it should stay steady and we should be solid.”
But there’s still plenty of work to be done this year, and Capac is confident heading into the postseason despite the fact it lost to Brown City 61-22 in Week 3.
Much of that confidence comes from that Week 8 win against 2024 8-Player Division 1 champion Deckerville. The 28-20 triumph ended Deckerville’s 20-game win streak, as it had not lost since the 2023 Semifinals. It was the first regular-season loss for the Eagles since Sept. 29, 2023.
“Starting the season we went kind of slow, but beating Deckerville told us that we were on that top tier,” senior defensive end and tight end Wiley Roose said. “I mean, after that game, it was crazy. To me, it was definitely the highlight of my sports career in high school. The whole team really came around.”
Beating Deckerville is an accomplishment in its own right, but the fact the Eagles had this season defeated Brown City and Kingston – which delivered Capac’s two losses – was another boost of confidence for the Chiefs, who are ready to show how far they’ve come this fall.
“We watched some film from the game (against Brown City) earlier in the season, and we were just comparing what we were then to how we are now,” Tesnow said. “It’s a huge difference. I’m pumped. We’re proving everyone wrong, and I love that feeling of being the underdog and surprising people.”
Tesnow and his teammates are hoping to continue doing that, but what they’ve done already to get the Capac program back on the right track is a massive accomplishment in itself.
“Coach Nestle and I care about all our players, but seeing these kids develop for five years, go through school, go through some of the losing seasons early in middle school then slowly build and get better – I can think of a number of kids and how they improved with being more aggressive, being tougher and taking the next step,” Schneider said. “It’s really nice to see the kids develop through the program. It’s been sweet. It’s that much better because it’s a great group of kids. They’re wonderful.”
Paul Costanzo served as a sportswriter at The Port Huron Times Herald from 2006-15, including three years as lead sportswriter, and prior to that as sports editor at the Hillsdale Daily News from 2005-06. He can be reached at [email protected] with story ideas for Genesee, Lapeer, St. Clair, Sanilac, Huron, Tuscola, Saginaw, Bay, Arenac, Midland and Gladwin counties.
PHOTOS (Top) Capac huddles up during the closing minutes of its Week 8 win over Deckerville. (Middle) Sam Schneider (22) carries the ball and follows his Chiefs blockers as they attempt to create an opening against the Eagles. (Photos courtesy of the Capac football program.)