Resources for Coaches
Login to access a number of My MHSAA services for coaches, including Officials Ratings, Rules Meetings, Games Wanted and much more.
Requirement #1: Complete Coaches Advancement Program Training
Each head coach of a varsity team hired for the first time at any MHSAA member high school (after July 31, 2016) shall have completed either Level 1 or Level 2 of the MHSAA Coaches Advancement Program (CAP).
The deadlines are:
Fall: September 15, 2022
Winter: December 15, 2022
Spring: April 20, 2023
Requirement #2: Take a Rules Meeting
Before each season, every coach is required to take an MHSAA rules meeting, most of which are online, and includes a section on health and safety. All assistant and sub-varsity coaches are also required to complete the rules meeting, with schools attesting that all coaches have completed this requirement.
Requirement #3: Obtain CPR Certification
All varsity, junior varsity, and 9th-grade head coaches of each high school team have a valid current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification.
Requirement #4: Rate Your Officials
Schools are responsible for rating officials who officiate contests involving their teams in sports for which officials' ratings are maintained. Schools which fail to rate any officials during the season shall be subject to the penalties outlined under MHSAA Handbook Regulation V, Section 4. The school principal or athletic director shall verify that the ratings submitted are truthful and accurate, have met with the approval of the appropriate school administrator, and are submitted on the school’s behalf.
IMPORTANT NOTE: THE DEADLINES FOR SUBMISSION OF OFFICIALS RATINGS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
FALL SPORTS -- December 1
WINTER SPORTS -- April 1
SPRING SPORTS -- June 20
Were you Ejected/Disqualified?
All coaches or athletes who were ejected/disqualified from a game are required to take one of the NFHS courses before returning after the next day of competition. This disqualification guide describes the protocols for returning to play.
Health and Safety
Access health and safety resources such as physical forms, concussion information, heat illness resources, cardiovascular resources, and more.
Summary of Regulations
- "In Other Words" Videos
- Anti-Recruiting Rules
- Sport-Specific Transfer Rule
- Summer Dead Period and Preseason Down Time
- Out-of-Season Coaching Regulations
- Residential Change Checklist
- A Guide to Non-Traditional Schools & Students
- Summary of Handbook Eligibility Regulations
- Return to Activity & Post-Concussion Consent Form
- Concussion Protocol
- One Season Per Sport
- Live Video Streaming Regulations
Coach and AD Guidelines for Rating Officials
MHSAA UPDATE following Winter 2022 RC Meeting - April 5, 2022
- MHSAA Coaches Advancement Program
- MHSAA Sportsmanship Resource Home
- MHSAA Multi-Sport Resource Page
- MHSAA Coaches Guidebook
- Women in Sports Leadership Conference
- MHSAA benchmarks and Publications
- Online Captains Course
- American Sport Education Program
- Chick Moorman's Resources for Parents and Educators
- Growing Champions For Life - An Athletic Resource Site for Parents
Access quick reference event schedules and information on national testing dates
Search for schools and schedules by league, level, sport, and more
Free NFHS Online Courses
The NFHS is offering a series of FREE valuable online courses regarding concussion management, sportsmanship and the role of parents in sports. Click a topic below and begin the course.
Click Here for Instructions in Signing Up for Free NFHS Online Courses
- NFHS Sports Medicine Home
- ACL Injury Prevention
- Bullying, Hazing and Inappropriate Behaviors
- The Collapsed Athlete
- Concussion for Students
- Concussion in Sports
- Covid-19 for Coaches and Administrators
- First Aid, Health & Safety
- Hazing Prevention for Students
- Heat Acclimatization and Heat Illness Prevention
- A Guide to Sports Nutrition
- Protecting Students from Abuse
- Student Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest