Portland Makes Right Moves for March
November 29, 2012
By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Dylan Carroll and Adam Goodman knew the request was coming long before coach John Novara asked them to make a big change for their senior seasons on the Portland football team.
The writing was on the scale, so to say. At 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, Carroll was among the three most sizable players on the Raiders’ roster this fall. And Goodman, at a solid 6-0, 200, wasn't far behind.
Still, it’s fair to assume not a lot of players want to trade in the opportunity to carry the ball for a jersey in the 50s. But Novara had no choice but to ask; he needed two new guards, and the best fits were tight end Carroll and the fullback, Goodman.
“At first, it was block, block, block. But after that, you get to pancake guys when you pull. Especially in this offense, guard is one of the best positions that we run,” Goodman said. “At first, it wasn't so exciting. But after that, it’s the best position. I would've played it all four years if I’d had the chance.”
Their one season on the line helped the Raiders produce unprecedented results.
Portland gets a Second Half High 5 this week after finishing a 13-1 season with its first trip to the MHSAA Finals – and first championship, thanks to a 12-9 win over Grand Rapids West Catholic.
The Raiders won in the same way they've made the playoffs every season over the last decade – with a mix of physical play up front, tough running and stout defense. That style often has been made possible by big bodies up front – a standout or two like alum and recently-graduated Eastern Michigan University 300-pounder Bridger Buche have been more the usual than occasional for Portland of late.
Not this season. For the Raiders to win again like they always have, it took the sacrifices of a couple smaller but just as tough seniors to be the catalysts.
“I think that was one of the keys to our success, offensively,” Novara said. “They graciously moved there. Without them moving to guards, I don’t know that we could've done this.”
Portland scored 500 points this season, likely its most ever (Michigan-football.com records date back to 1950). No other Raiders team had scored even 400.
Carroll and Goodman also were two of only three Portland players who pulled double duty, with Carroll also a starting defensive end and Goodman a starting linebacker. They helped key a defense that gave up just 13 points per game.
That defense gave up more than 14 points only once during the regular season – in a 41-32 loss to 2011 Division 5 runner-up Lansing Catholic. It gave up more than 20 twice in the playoffs, but hung on when it counted in a 45-28 win over reigning champion Flint Powers Catholic in the Regional Final and then the next week in a 28-23 nail-biter against Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard.
Portland scored all of its points of the MHSAA Final during the game's first 15 minutes. But the defense came up with three interceptions and two turnovers on downs, plus blocked a field goal attempt. The Raiders ended West Catholic’s final drive with a fourth-down stop on their 12-yard-line.
“The defense had been there all season, and we were just happy to make that one last play to win a state championship,” Goodman said.
And if he and Carroll’s moves to the offensive line hadn't been worth it completely before, they certainly became so that afternoon. As Carroll said after, he and most of his teammates are three-sport athletes who grew up together in their small town midway between Lansing and Grand Rapids. A position change hardly qualified as a sacrifice for an opportunity like this.
“I wasn't going to go out without a state championship this year. Our seniors deserved it,” Carroll said.
“We kept our mouths shut. We did whatever was best for the team, and we still worked as hard as we could this summer. It was well worth it.”
PHOTO: Portland linemen Adam Goodman (52) and Dylan Carroll (54) lead the way for teammate Auston Brandt during Saturday's Division 5 Final at Ford Field. (Click for more from Terry McNamara Photography.)
Sadler Primed for Big Finish to Championship-Filled Cass Tech Career
By
Keith Dunlap
Special for MHSAA.com
August 22, 2025
DETROIT — For C.J. Sadler, it all started with a token of generosity from a neighbor he calls “Mr. Johnson” when Sadler was just 7 years old.
Sadler recalls how Mr. Johnson – the grandfather of childhood friend Jalen Johnson, who went on to star at Belleville – paid for his for his initial registration for Detroit’s Police Athletic League.
Sadler said the elder Johnson noticed his aggressiveness while out playing with an older kid in the neighborhood, and saw something in Sadler that made him believe he was ready to give football a try.
So Mr. Johnson forked over $250 to help get Sadler enrolled in the youth football league.
“I’ll never, ever forget that,” Sadler said of Mr. Johnson, who has since passed away. “He’s the reason I’m doing this now.”
What Sadler is doing right now is establishing himself as one of the elite high school players in the Midwest.
A senior wideout/defensive back for 2024 Division 1 champion Detroit Cass Tech, Sadler is widely considered the state’s best player going into this season.
On Friday, he committed to play next for Bill Belichick at North Carolina, primarily because the Tar Heels will give him the opportunity to play on both sides of the ball in college.
“I definitely can pull it off,” Sadler said. “I know it’s college, and it’s the next level. But I told coaches I want to play both sides, and that’s what I want to do. Whatever I’ve got to do to do it, I’m going to do it.”
Anyone who watched Sadler during last season’s 42-20 win over Hudsonville in the Division 1 championship game sure knows what he can do on the field.
Sadler caught six passes for 47 yards and two touchdowns, finishing off a season that saw him catch 51 passes for 1,043 yards and 14 touchdowns total.
Defensively, he had three solo tackles and played his usual lockdown pass coverage in the secondary.
Sadler is entering this fall as a four-year varsity player, but he spent the first two years playing a lot of quarterback for the Technicians.
But when current quarterback Donald Tabron came into the fold as a freshman last year, Sadler approached Cass Tech coach Marvin Rushing with an idea.
“He was one of the gentlemen who approached us and said, ‘Hey, I think the team may actually flow better if Don is in the lead,’” Rushing said. “We had the opportunity to be more dynamic with him out on the edge. Obviously preparing for the next stage and college football, it was less wear and tear on him. He was fundamental and paramount in being able to transition because if your players resist, it’s hard to have that growth in the program.”
Before last season, Sadler made it a point to take the promising Tabron under his wing and help him get adjusted to varsity football and the tradition-rich program that is Cass Tech.
“He knows a lot about the game of football, and he knows a lot about Cass Tech football,” Tabron said. “He was just giving small tidbits when I need it and giving me small pieces of information to learn.”
After some initial growing pains, Tabron matured enough to help Cass Tech win another Division 1 title.
With the quarterback now a year older and more comfortable as a sophomore, Tabron to Sadler figures to be one of the most lethal passing combinations in the state.
Rushing said the biggest emphasis for Sadler has been taking care of his body and getting it ready for the next level, focusing on his flexibility, nutrition and hydration, which only enhances an incredible appetite to win.
“He despises losing, and it becomes contagious,” Rushing said. “Weight room, basketball, football. You could be playing video games with the guy. He doesn’t want to lose.”
Sadler actually has two state championship rings at Cass Tech, as he was a reserve as a freshman on Cass Tech’s basketball team that won the Division 1 title in 2023. He said he still communicates with the star of that team, Darius Acuff, who will be a freshman at Arkansas this year.
“That’s my brother,” Sadler said. “I just talk to him about his college life right now, and he’s telling me.”
A big senior season, a collegiate career and maybe even a professional opportunity down the road all are on the table for Sadler’s future.
No doubt, Mr. Johnson is above smiling and proud of it all.
Keith Dunlap has served in Detroit-area sports media for more than two decades, including as a sportswriter at the Oakland Press from 2001-16 primarily covering high school sports but also college and professional teams. His bylines also have appeared in USA Today, the Washington Post, the Detroit Free Press, the Houston Chronicle and the Boston Globe. He served as the administrator for the Oakland Activities Association’s website from 2017-2020. Contact him at [email protected] with story ideas for Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties.
PHOTOS (Top) Detroit Cass Tech’s C.J. Sadler (1) stretches into the end zone for a touchdown during last year’s Division 1 Final at Ford Field. (Middle) Sadler has recently committed to continue at North Carolina.