The Grand Rapids Press' Jane Bos tells the story of some of the most valuable, yet often-criticized people who help make our games go -- the officials enforcing the rules.
Consider this interesting point: On a Tuesday or Friday, the O-K Conference must come up with 150 officials to work its basketball games. And it, like most if not all leagues, always is looking for more.
She also explains how another former Press sportswriter, Howie Beardsley, got into the reffing game.
Check it out:
1. GIRLS BASKETBALL Maddux Locke broke her mother’s Springport record for steals with 16 in a 64-16 win over Bellevue – Jackson Citizen Patriot
2. GIRLS BASKETBALL Sofia Keller scored her 1,000th career point during Battle Creek Academy’s 49-35 win over Tekonsha – Battle Creek Enquirer
3. BOYS BASKETBALL Grand Rapids Christian defeated reigning Division 2 runner-up South Christian 58-48 – Grand Rapids Press
4. GIRLS BASKETBALL Reigning Division 2 runner-up Frankenmuth downed Lake City – 24-2 last season – 39-23 – WJRT
5. GIRLS BASKETBALL Maple City Glen Lake edged Traverse City St. Francis 36-32 in a season opener – Traverse City Record-Eagle
6. GIRLS BASKETBALL Rudy Maynard’s game-winning 3-pointer sent Jenison past Allendale 45-44 – Grand Rapids Press
7. BOYS BASKETBALL Bay City John Glenn came back from an early 20-3 deficit to defeat Midland 68-62 – Bay City Times
8. BOYS BASKETBALL A 51-point game and buzzer-beating shot gave Saline plenty of highlights during a 74-72 win over Canton – Saline Post
9. GIRLS BASKETBALL Freshman Mia McGregor scored 47 points in Mio’s 66-23 win over Au Gres-Sims – Bay City Times
10. BOYS BASKETBALL Fruitport Calvary Christian defeated Fruitport High for the first time, 62-57 – Local Sports Journal