Be The Referee is a series of short messages designed to help educate people on the rules of different sports, to help them better understand the art of officiating, and to recruit officials.
Below is this week's segment – Football Finals Replay - Listen
There’s a change to the instant replay process for the Football Finals at Ford Field.
All potential scoring and turnover plays will continue to be automatically reviewed. But new this year, coaches will be allowed to challenge one play per regulation, with some restrictions.
First, a team must have a time-out available and call it to initiate a review.
Second, there are a limited number of items that can be reviewed. Those include catch or no catch. Ball carrier in or out of bounds. Forward or backward pass. And a handful of others.
If successful, the coach will be given back the timeout and can make one more challenge in regulation.
In overtime, coaches can challenge once, no matter how many overtime periods are played – and only if they have a time out.
Nov. 11: Back Row Illegal Blocker - Listen
Nov. 4: Swim Turn Judges - Listen
Oct. 25: Soccer Referee Jersey Colors - Listen
Oct. 18: Cross Country Tie-Breaker - Listen
Oct. 11: Soccer Shootouts - Listen
Oct. 11: Safety in End Zone - Listen
Oct. 4: Football Overtime Penalty - Listen
Sept. 27: Kickoff Goal - Listen
Sept. 20: Soccer Timing - Listen
Sept. 13: Volleyball Replays - Listen
Sept. 6: Switching Sides - Listen
Aug. 30: Play Clock - Listen
Aug. 23: Intentional Grounding Change - Listen
1. HOCKEY Division 1 No. 4 Brighton held on to defeat No. 9 Northville 5-3 – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
2. GIRLS BASKETBALL Muskegon edged Kalamazoo Central 66-62 in overtime on the road – Kalamazoo Gazette
3. GIRLS BASKETBALL Grace Pribble scored the game winner with 16 seconds to play as Grand Ledge edged Caledonia 43-42 – Lansing State Journal
4. GIRLS BASKETBALL The Michelle Lindsey era began at Bloomfield Hills Marian with a win over Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett – Oakland Press
5. GIRLS BASKETBALL Saginaw Arthur Hill improved to 2-0 with a 53-36 win over Flint Beecher – Saginaw News
6. GIRLS BASKETBALL Mendon improved to 2-0 with a 24-22 win over Quincy – Sturgis Journal
7. GIRLS BASKETBALL Freeland earned its first win of the winter, 39-21 over Midland Bullock Creek – Midland Daily News
8. GIRLS BASKETBALL Petersburg Summerfield opened with a big win over Lincoln Park – Monroe News
9. GIRLS BASKETBALL Harbor Springs edged Indian River Inland Lakes 64-51 – Petoskey News-Review
10. GIRLS BASKETBALL Bad Axe moved to 2-0 with a second road win, this one over Harbor Beach – Huron Daily Tribune