Notre Dame Prep Takes to Air, Passes 1st Finals Test to Complete Record Run
By
Paul Costanzo
Special for MHSAA.com
November 30, 2024
DETROIT – It’s been hard to find room to run against Frankenmuth all season, so on Saturday, Notre Dame Prep went to the air.
Quarterback Sam Stowe threw for 293 yards and four touchdowns as the Fighting Irish made the most of their first Football Finals appearance with a 42-7 victory over the Eagles in the Division 5 title game at Ford Field.
“The lights weren’t too bright for our offense,” Stowe said. “Having playmakers like Joey (Decasas) and Billy (Collins), Drew (Heimbuch) – they make me look good. I couldn’t have asked for a better offense tonight.”
The win caps off a historic season for the Irish, who won a school-record 12 games and the first Regional title in program history. To end it with a win on the season’s final day was, of course, special for everyone involved, but especially for NDP coach Pat Fox, who finished his 11th season with a Finals title win against his alma mater.
“I actually live there now, too,” Fox said with a smile. “I was the benefit of tremendous coaching, and I played for the greatest head coach in the state, Ralph Munger. He raised all of us in a specific way, and because of him I have a great life. I owe my life to that program. But, I don’t know anybody there anymore except for (Frankenmuth coach Phil Martin), and these are my guys and I was happy to win big. It wasn’t a problem, as long as my house isn’t burned down. … It was hard. It was hard. I love the program.”
Saturday’s game continued a theme for the Irish: winning big in the postseason. They outscored opponents 241-59 over five playoff games on their way to the title.
“We’ve had a great year this year. We have great young men,” Fox said. “I work with tremendous people, and I’m blessed to tell you that we’re very proud of our accomplishments because we do it the right way. We’re a developmental program. A lot of our players, like Drew and Sammy, have been with me since junior kindergarten. We have great student-athletes, and great young men. And we take the time to develop them, and they stay in our program.”
Fox singled out Stowe, who sat behind Jacob Tuttle, a first-team all-state selection a year ago. Rather than look elsewhere to get his talent onto the field, Stowe stuck it out at Notre Dame and had an unforgettable junior season, throwing for nearly 3,000 yards and 37 touchdowns.
“I got to sit behind Jacob Tuttle, one of the Notre Dame greats,” Stowe said. “And he taught me everything I know.”
That was on full display Saturday, as Stowe utilized his weapons on the outside to burn a Frankenmuth defense that has been outstanding all season.
Frankenmuth entered the game having allowed just 473 yards on the ground all season, and the Irish didn’t have a ton more luck for most of the game. But the passing game was lethal, and made all the difference.
“Honestly, I always trust our offense,” Collins said. “We definitely have the ability to make huge plays. We have some extremely fast guys, a fantastic quarterback in Sam who can get the ball down the field. We just trust our offense, we trust our offensive coordinator, coach (Jason) Whalen. We just trust our team.”
Stowe did most of his damage in the first half, including all four touchdown passes. He hit Collins for 87- and 25-yard scores, Michael Wiebelhaus for a 23-yarder, and Decasas on a 47-yard score.
Collins caught four passes for 126 yards, while Decasas had three catches for 70 yards.
Heimbuch scored the final two touchdowns for Notre Dame Prep on runs of eight and 50 yards in the second half. He finished with 63 yards rushing.
Notre Dame Prep’s defense was equally impressive, holding Frankenmuth to 245 total yards (4.2 per play) and not allowing a score until there was 8:58 to play in the game and the Irish had already built a 35-0 lead.
Luca Gasperoni led the defensive charge, finishing with 13 tackles, while Mark Galle had 11 and Wiebelhaus had 10. Heimbuch added nine tackles, including one sack and three tackles for loss.
Lleyton Hoard scored Frankenmuth’s lone touchdown on an 11-yard run early in the fourth quarter. Cash Tedford had 86 yards rushing to lead the Eagles (13-1), who were making their third Finals appearance over the past five seasons.
Brady Lipka had seven tackles, including two TFLs to lead the Frankenmuth defense.
PHOTOS (Top) Notre Dame Prep quarterback Sam Stowe (15) winds up to throw a pass Saturday as his line holds off the rush. (Middle) The Fighting Irish’s Billy Collins (4) pulls in a touchdown pass. (Below) NDP players hold up their championship trophy toward the crowd. (Photos by Hockey Weekly Action Photos.)
Michigan’s Football Numbers Game – Corrected
September 1, 2017
Today’s blog was written by MHSAA Second Half Editor Geoff Kimmerly
The demise of Michigan high school football has been greatly exaggerated – or, at least, recently misreported by one of the U.S.’s most recognizable newspapers that noted as part of a larger story on football decline that Michigan has seen a “net loss of 57 teams in the past five years.”
It’s easy to understand how this error took place – especially when a reporter is not familiar with the football landscape in our state – but that doesn’t make this statement any less misleading, or harmful considering the story since has been picked up by multiple large news organizations. So let’s quickly clear up the misinterpreted information:
-
The data that led to this error came from an annual participation report released by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). Every spring, state associations (like the MHSAA) from every state and Washington, D.C., tally up how many of their member schools have a sport and how many athletes play it.
-
For 2016-17, the MHSAA submitted to the NFHS a total of 580 schools with 11-player football – that number actually includes all schools that reported having at least one football player, including primary and secondary schools in co-ops. And yes, that 580 is 57 fewer than the 637 11-player schools the MHSAA submitted for 2012-13.
-
But saying Michigan has lost 57 football programs misses out on something incredibly significant – the MHSAA also submitted 60 schools with 8-player football last year, up from 16 in 2012-13, making that net decrease in football schools over five years 13 – far fewer than 57.
And with a few more brush strokes, the picture of football in our state actually shows a healthy landscape:
-
The 640 schools in Michigan with at least one football player for 2016-17, 11 and 8-player combined, is actually eight more than we reported to the NFHS four years ago and 10 more than three years ago.
-
A better picture of Michigan’s football consistency is shown by how many varsity programs are taking the field. This fall, that number is 616 – 555 11-player varsities and 61 8-player – and we also had 616 for most of the 2016 season, 616 in 2015 and 615 in 2014.
-
We’ve had programs bring back varsity teams this year, and in one case a school has a team on its own for the first time. Benzonia Benzie Central and Suttons Bay were unable to field varsities in 2016, but Benzie Central is back playing 11-player and Suttons Bay is back with an 8-player team. Brimley, an 8-player school going back to 2010, also is fielding a team again after being unable to do so last year. Mount Clemens played only two varsity games in 2016 and forfeited a third, but has seven scheduled for this fall and lost close in its opener last week. And Bear Lake, previously a secondary school in a co-op program, now has a team all its own for the first time and is playing at the 8-player level.
-
Yes, there has been a decrease in Michigan high school football participation when it comes to the number of players – for reasons we discuss frequently, including more extracurricular/entertainment options than ever for students, more who are specializing in other sports and safety fears that often are misplaced. But we’ve also seen a three percent drop in enrollment at MHSAA member schools over the last five years. And despite that trend, Michigan again had the sixth-highest 11-player football participation in the nation in 2016-17 (and seventh-highest in 8-player) while ranking 10th nationally in number of residents of high school age.
-
So yes, while a nine percent drop in the number of football players over the last five years in Michigan clearly is troubling, and something we’re working with the Michigan High School Football Coaches Association to reverse, let’s also put those numbers in perspective. At medium-sized to bigger schools, it could mean a roster of 40 might have only 36 players. A roster of 20 at an 8-player school might go down to 18. Neither would signal the need to eliminate a football program.
-
And that move by so many schools to 8-player? It definitely started as a way for low-participation programs to keep football (and has worked for most of them). While that still may be the driving force as schools move from 11 to 8, others have made the switch because most of their former opponents did and joining them makes scheduling easier and travel shorter. Michigan has a multitude of small towns, and you’ll find most of these 8-player programs in pockets in the thumb, southwest or northern Lower Peninsula, or Upper Peninsula. And keep in mind, only Class D teams remain eligible for the 8-player playoffs – and only two of 61 teams playing 8-player this fall are larger than Class D and its enrollment limit of 203 students for 2017-18.
The story behind “a decrease of 57 schools” clearly is a little complex to explain and explain away, but it’s necessary to do so.
Yes, Michigan’s total number of football players is down a few percent. But the sport’s prominence and importance in our schools and communities remains high.