Video 1/20/16: Basketball, Buzzer Beaters
January 20, 2016
By John Johnson
MHSAA Communications Director
Each week, MHSAA.tv features highlights of events produced by schools involved in the MHSAA School Broadcast Program.
This week's package includes clips from the Haslett/DeWitt girls and boys basketball games plus buzzer-beating shots from around the state.
Four top-10 teams in the statewide girls basketball rankings square off this week on MHSAA.tv.
On Tuesday, the top-ranked team in Class A, Saginaw Heritage, played at seventh-ranked Midland Dow at 7 p.m.; and the No. 7 team in Class B, Houghton, traveled across the Portage Canal Lift Bridge to face the top-ranked team in Class C, Calumet. Replays of both games can been seen on MHSAA.tv, produced by Midland Dow and Calumet High School students involved in the MHSAA’s School Broadcast Program.
In its seventh year, the School Broadcast Program gives members an opportunity to showcase excellence in their schools by creating video programming of athletic and non-athletic events with students gaining skills in announcing, camera operation, directing/producing and graphics.
The program also gives schools the opportunity to raise money through advertising and viewing subscriptions.
All sporting events – Live or On-Demand – are available on a subscription basis only for their first 72 hours online. They become available for free, on-demand viewing approximately 72 hours following their completion.
Here’s the schedule of events School Broadcast Program members plan to stream this week for broadcast at MHSAA.tv. On-Demand listings may be available as soon as one hour following an event’s completion.
Wednesday – Jan. 20
- New Lothrop at Montrose – Wrestling – 4:55 p.m. – LIVE
- Petoskey at Alpena – JV Boys Basketball – 5:30 p.m. – LIVE
- Fowlerville at Haslett – Girls Gymnastics – 6:30 p.m. – LIVE
- Petoskey at Alpena - Boys Basketball – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Houghton at Calumet – Boys Basketball – 7:20 p.m. – LIVE?
Thursday – Jan. 21
- Allendale at Comstock Park – Freshman Girls Basketball – 4 p.m. – LIVE
- Allendale at Comstock Park – JV Girls Basketball – 5:30 p.m. – LIVE
- Holt at East Lansing – Boys Swimming & Diving – 6 p.m. – On-Demand
- North Farmington at Lake Orion – Girls Basketball – 7 p.m. – LIVE
Friday – Jan. 22
- Mt. Morris at Montrose – Girls Basketball – 5:25 p.m. – LIVE
- Okemos at East Lansing – Girls Basketball – 6 p.m. – On-Demand
- Mt. Morris at Montrose – Boys Basketball – 6:55 p.m. – On-Demand
- Three Rivers at Dowagiac – Boys Basketball – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Farmington at Lake Orion – Boys Basketball – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Traverse City Central at Alpena – Ice Hockey – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Detroit University Prep at Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood – Ice Hockey – 7:15 p.m.
- Okemos at East Lansing – Boys Basketball – 7:30 p.m. – On-Demand
Tuesday – Jan. 26
- Sparta at Comstock Park – Freshman Boys Basketball – 4 p.m. – LIVE
- Sparta at Comstock Park – JV Boys Basketball – 5:30 p.m. – LIVE
- Sparta at Comstock Park – Boys Basketball – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Paw Paw at Dowagiac – Boys Basketball – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Holt at Haslett – Boys Basketball – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Royal Oak at Lake Orion – Girls Basketball – 7 p.m. – LIVE
- Painesdale-Jeffers at Calumet – Boys Basketball – 7:20 p.m. – LIVE
- Cheboygan at Alpena – Girls Basketball – 7:30 p.m. – LIVE
- Atlanta at Whittemore-Prescott – Boys Basketball – 7:30 p.m. – On-Demand
Wednesday – Jan. 27
- Mason at Haslett – Wrestling – 6 p.m. - LIVE
Schools interested in becoming a part of the School Broadcast Program should contact John Johnson at the MHSAA Office.
Today in the MHSAA: 6/5/23
By Geoff Kimmerly
MHSAA.com senior editor
June 5, 2023
2. TRACK & FIELD/GIRLS TENNIS The busiest Saturday of the MHSAA school sports calendar again saw Finals for 14 divisions of track & field and four of Lower Peninsula girls tennis provide this time 19 team champions, with a tie in Upper Peninsula Division 3 girls track. We covered all 18 events – MHSAA.com
2. BASEBALL Unranked Lake Orion enjoyed the most major upset of the weekend, downing top-ranked Orchard Lake St. Mary’s 3-2 in a Division 1 District Final – Cold Weather Bats
3. GIRLS SOCCER No. 3 Rochester Hills Stoney Creek delivered top-ranked Rochester High its lone loss, 3-1, in a Division 1 District Final – Oakland Press
4. BASEBALL Unranked Midland Dow also did its part to shake up Division 1 with a 2-1 upset of No. 2 Bay City Western in a District Final – Midland Daily News
5. SOFTBALL Division 2 top-ranked Gaylord won a matchup of favorites, 13-1 over No. 2 Escanaba before finishing the District title run with a 10-0 win over Cheboygan – Petoskey News-Review
6. GIRLS LACROSSE Grand Rapids Forest Hills Northern/Eastern repeated as a Division 1 Regional champ with a 14-11 win over Rockford – FOX 17
7. BASEBALL No. 12 Birmingham Seaholm edged No. 4 Bloomfield Hills Brother Rice 4-3 in a Division 1 District Final – Oakland Press
8. BASEBALL Unranked Grandville also repeated as a District champ with a 5-3 upset of No. 9 Jenison in Division 1 – Grand Rapids Press
9. SOFTBALL/BASEBALL The Lansing Waverly softball team and Mason baseball team celebrated their first District championships – Lansing State Journal
10. SOFTBALL Royal Oak also was a first-time District champion with its 20-9 clinching win over Berkley – Oakland Press