The Ann Arbor Pioneer boys and girls swim programs have received national acclaim over the years. And at the head of those efforts has been coach Denny Hill, who celebrated his 1,000th dual meet victory last month.
AnnArbor.com's Terry Jacoby tells us more about how Hill came to Pioneer and what he's accomplished. This former athlete's thought explains a lot of what Hill has meant to his sport and high school athletics as a whole.
“(Hill) taught me what it meant to work hard and what it meant to push myself past the limits I had put on myself,” said Kristyne (Cole), who also swam at Michigan. “He taught me what it meant to be a part of a team and how to be a leader. Denny taught me that you should give 100 percent effort in whatever you decide to do, and that the team always comes first; whether that meant showing up to practice early to do lane lines or switching events during a meet right before that event began.”
Click to read the full report:
1. GIRLS BASKETBALL Maddux Locke broke her mother’s Springport record for steals with 16 in a 64-16 win over Bellevue – Jackson Citizen Patriot
2. GIRLS BASKETBALL Sofia Keller scored her 1,000th career point during Battle Creek Academy’s 49-35 win over Tekonsha – Battle Creek Enquirer
3. BOYS BASKETBALL Grand Rapids Christian defeated reigning Division 2 runner-up South Christian 58-48 – Grand Rapids Press
4. GIRLS BASKETBALL Reigning Division 2 runner-up Frankenmuth downed Lake City – 24-2 last season – 39-23 – WJRT
5. GIRLS BASKETBALL Maple City Glen Lake edged Traverse City St. Francis 36-32 in a season opener – Traverse City Record-Eagle
6. GIRLS BASKETBALL Rudy Maynard’s game-winning 3-pointer sent Jenison past Allendale 45-44 – Grand Rapids Press
7. BOYS BASKETBALL Bay City John Glenn came back from an early 20-3 deficit to defeat Midland 68-62 – Bay City Times
8. BOYS BASKETBALL A 51-point game and buzzer-beating shot gave Saline plenty of highlights during a 74-72 win over Canton – Saline Post
9. GIRLS BASKETBALL Freshman Mia McGregor scored 47 points in Mio’s 66-23 win over Au Gres-Sims – Bay City Times
10. BOYS BASKETBALL Fruitport Calvary Christian defeated Fruitport High for the first time, 62-57 – Local Sports Journal