By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Although notable events Wednesday may have been fewer than most evenings of late, a matchup of arguably the top two hockey teams in Michigan certainly stood out.
Each weekday during the school year, we’ll gather and post media links covering the most significant and intriguing high school events from all over the state.
Gaylord St. Mary moved to 8-1 and into first place alone in the Ski Valley Conference with a 38-23 win over Bellaire – Gaylord Herald Times
Wyandotte Roosevelt handed Trenton its first loss this season, 44-33, to take over first place alone in the Downriver League – Southgate News Herald
Birmingham Brother Rice won a Detroit Catholic League Central matchup of the top-ranked teams statewide in Divisions 1 and 2, downing Detroit Catholic Central 4-3 – Oakland Press
1. BOYS BASKETBALL Ludington opened this winter with an 82-57 win over Grant thanks in part to David Schillinger’s 40 points – Local Sports Journal
2. BOYS BASKETBALL Onsted started its season at Little Caesars Arena with a 60-33 win over Hanover-Horton – Adrian Daily Telegram
3. BOYS BASKETBALL Addison went on a run late to open with a 62-57 overtime win over Hudson – Jackson Citizen Patriot
4. BOYS BASKETBALL Birch Run opened with a 58-36 win over Burton Bentley – WNEM
5. BOYS BASKETBALL Lake City tipped off the season with a 36-21 win over Mesick – Up North Live
6. BOYS BASKETBALL Charlevoix opened with a 65-41 win over Ellsworth – Traverse City Record-Eagle
7. BOYS BASKETBALL Manistee opened with a win as well, 56-24 over Onekama – Manistee News Advocate
Also of note …
FOOTBALL East Kentwood has hired championship-winning Detroit Martin Luther King coach Tyrone Spencer to take over its program – WOOD TV