Today in the MHSAA: 3/3/20

March 3, 2020

By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor

The Girls Basketball District Tournament tipped off Monday and the biggest wave came out of the Upper Peninsula, where Gladstone set the tone as top-two seeds won 90 percent of their games but the other 10 percent earned most of the biggest headlines.

1. Girls Basketball: Gladstone earned the biggest upset of District opening night, draining a last-second 3-pointer to get past previously-undefeated Menominee 46-45 in Division 2 – Escanaba Daily Press

2. Girls Basketball: Flint Carman-Ainsworth won a Division 1 matchup of league champions, downing Flushing 48-38 – WJRT

3. Girls Basketball: Cadillac won a matchup of league champions in Division 2, downing Ludington 43-39 – Cadillac News

4. Girls Basketball: East Kentwood ended Byron Center’s 19-game winning streak with a 50-43 win in Division 1; both teams were league champions this winter – WZZM

5. Girls Basketball: Eaton Rapids upset a league champion in Chelsea 58-49 in overtime in a Division 2 opener – Chelsea Sun Times News

6. Girls Basketball: Mayville got past a league champion in Kinde-North Huron 43-41 in Division 4 – Huron Daily Tribune

7. Girls Basketball: Bridgeport also upset a league champion, downing Caro 56-35 in Division 2 – Saginaw News

8. Girls Basketball: Jackson Lumen Christi ended the season for another league champion in Springport, 42-39 in Division 3 – Jackson Citizen Patriot

9. Girls Basketball: Cass City opened Division 3 play with an upset, downing Harbor Beach 46-34 – Huron Daily Tribune

10. Girls Basketball: Megan Matson led a Division 4 upset with 33 points in Munising’s 51-47 win over Rock Mid Peninsula – Escanaba Daily Press

Also of note …

Girls Basketball: Kent City may have set an MHSAA record with 40 points in the first quarter of a big Division 3 win over Ravenna – Muskegon Chronicle

Boys Basketball: From Friday, Kinde-North Huron earned a share of the North Central Thumb League Stripes title with a big win over Akron-Fairgrove – Huron Daily Tribune

Boys Swimming & Diving: From Saturday, Battle Creek Lakeview – tied for No. 10 in Lower Peninsula Division 2 – locked up the Southwestern Michigan Athletic Conference championship – WWMT

Boys Swimming & Diving: From Saturday, LPD1 Ann Arbor Pioneer finished nearly 200 points ahead of a field that included three more top-10 teams to win the Southeastern Conference Red championship meet – We Love Ann Arbor

Today in the MHSAA: 3/23/23

By Geoff Kimmerly senior editor

March 23, 2023

1. BOYS BASKETBALL Romulus Summit Academy earned its first Semifinal trip with a 68-62 win over Chelsea in a Division 2 Quarterfinal – Southgate News-Herald

2. BOYS BASKETBALL Niles Brandywine also will play in its first Semifinal thanks to a 71-62 Division 3 win over Pewamo-Westphalia – Niles Daily Star

3. BOYS BASKETBALL Ecorse handed Laingsburg its lone loss, 57-46 in a Division 3 Quarterfinal – Southgate News-Herald

4. BOYS BASKETBALL Munising advanced to its first Semifinal since 1954 with a 52-43 win over Painesdale Jeffers in Division 4 – Marquette Mining Journal

5. BOYS BASKETBALL Flint Beecher downed Detroit Loyola 55-49 to advance in Division 3 – Mid-Michigan Now

6. BOYS BASKETBALL Saginaw is headed back to the Semifinals in Division 2 thanks to a 61-57 win over Cadillac – Saginaw News

7. BOYS BASKETBALL Detroit Cass Tech is Breslin bound thanks to a 55-49 win over Ann Arbor Huron – MLIVE-Detroit

8. BOYS BASKETBALL Frankfort edged Hillman 59-57 in a Division 4 Quarterfinal – Benzie County Record-Patriot

9. BOYS BASKETBALL Orchard Lake St. Mary’s advanced in Division 1 with a 55-44 win over Warren De La Salle Collegiate – Oakland Press

10. BOYS BASKETBALL Marine City Cardinal Mooney earned a Division 4 Semifinals berth with a 59-56 win over Taylor Trillium Academy – Port Huron Times Herald

Also of note …

BOYS BASKETBALL Grand Blanc advanced in Division 1 with a 64-44 win over Rochester Adams – WJRT

BOYS BASKETBALL Muskegon will return to Breslin thanks to a 59-43 Division 1 win over East Lansing –

BOYS BASKETBALL Ferndale is moving on in Division 2 with a 71-66 victory over Goodrich – Oakland Press

BOYS BASKETBALL Grand Rapids South Christian advanced with a 61-38 win over Hudsonville Unity Christian in Division 2 – Grand Rapids Press

BOYS BASKETBALL Traverse City St. Francis will be returning to the Semifinals for the first time in more than a decade thanks to a 72-47 win over St. Ignace in Division 3 – Traverse City Record-Eagle

BOYS BASKETBALL Reigning champion Wyoming Tri-unity Christian will return to Finals weekend thanks to a 54-41 win over Kalamazoo Phoenix in Division 4 – Grand Rapids Press