By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
It’s not quite a needle in a haystack. But it could turn into a great story.
This 1984 MHSAA Regional medal, pictured above, was found recently in Massachusetts with a metal detector. The finder, coincidentally a former collegiate track and field coach, hopes to return the medal to its rightful owner.
Doing so might not be as difficult as it sounds, but we’ll need help from our friends in the track and field community.
Here’s what we know:
- The medal was received for finishing fourth in the 800 meters at a Class B Regional in 1984.
- The Regional had to be in the Lower Peninsula, because Class A and Class B were and continue to be combined in the Upper Peninsula.
- There were 10 Class B Regionals during the 1984 season, hosted by Sturgis, Parma Jackson County Western, Chelsea, Warren Fitzgerald, Linden, Corunna, Ovid-Elsie, Fremont, Greenville and Gaylord.
- So that means the medal could have only 20 possible owners.
Unfortunately, we do not have Regional results from the 1980s on file in our office. That’s where our helpers come in.
If you have results, or any idea who won this medal, please contact me at Geoff@mhsaa.com. If we can connect medal with owner, we’ll tell much more of this story – including that of the coach who found it and made the call to start its return trip home.
1. WRESTLING Division 3 top-ranked Dundee swept Division 2 No. 1 Lowell 34-24 and Division 4 No. 1 Hudson 56-21 – Monroe News
2. HOCKEY White Lake Lakeland ran its Lakes Valley Conference title streak to three with a 4-0 clincher over Milford – Oakland Press
3. BOYS BASKETBALL Port Huron Northern edged Romeo 75-72 to clinch the Macomb Area Conference White championship – Port Huron Times-Herald
4. WRESTLING White Pigeon clinched the Southwest 10 Conference championship with wins over Comstock and Hartford – Sturgis Journal
5. WRESTLING Division 1 No. 7 Rockford finished the Ottawa-Kent Conference Red schedule undefeated with a 38-21 win over No. 9 Grandville – FOX 17
6. GIRLS BASKETBALL Maple City Glen Lake held on for a 51-45 win over Traverse City St. Francis – Traverse City Record-Eagle
7. BOYS BASKETBALL Beaverton won its 800th game under coach Roy Johnston’s leadership, this one over Pinconning – Bay City Times
8. HOCKEY Division 2 No. 5 Saginaw Heritage shut out No. 9 Midland 3-0 – Midland Daily News
9. BOYS BASKETBALL Cass City won by scoring on the game’s final possession for the sixth time this season, 46-45 over Bad Axe – Bay City Times
10. WRESTLING Reed City defeated LeRoy Pine River and Cadillac to claim the US 131 Cup – Big Rapids Pioneer