By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Next week will mark the one-year birthday of Second Half, our place to tell your high school sports stories.
And I thank you for helping us to such a great start.
We knew what we hoped to accomplish starting this site a year ago, but we've learned quite a bit during a relatively short time. Although we continue to pursue the mission of being home of the state’s best high school stories and a daily stop for fans, we’ll continue to experiment to figure out what you'd most like to see and how best we can continue to pass along the great things happening in MHSAA athletics.
A few things to call to your attention as we move ahead:
- First and foremost, we strive to tell your stories – hoping to hit every sport and all regions of our state – and have some intriguing ones coming up as we get into the second half of the winter season. Stay tuned.
- Second Half is the home for the “Battle of the Fans II.” We have visits to Buchanan and Vandercook Lake next week, followed by Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard and Zeeland East the week after. We’ll announce the winner Feb. 22. All will be found here first.
- We've revamped our video page (see menu across the top of this screen) and will be adding more videos more regularly in the year to come.
- After a brief hiatus, we’ll next week bring back “High 5s” featuring two athletes and a team that have done great things this season.
- What you’re reading now is the first of a weekly “First Pitch” blog that will allow us to post more of the quick hits we run across in our regular travels. Make sure to continue checking out the twice-weekly blog by Executive Director Jack Roberts, as well as the Viewpoints and SAC Sound-Offs supplied regularly by our friends from the Michigan State University Institute for the Study of Youth Sports and the members of our Student Advisory Council, respectively.
- We began providing in-depth statewide coverage – both previewing and then postgame reporting – of our Finals in every sport this fall, and hope to become your first and fastest source for the stories behind our championships.
We’re always looking for ideas both for stories or any other features you’d like to see – and feel free to send them directly to me at [email protected].
And again, thank you again for coming to our site today. We look forward to seeing you more in the year to come.
1. GIRLS BASKETBALL Ishpeming Westwood opened this season with a 61-52 win over Menominee – Upper Michigan Source
2. BOYS BASKETBALL Saginaw Heritage moved to 2-0 with a 60-46 win over Holt – WJRT
3. GIRLS BASKETBALL Manton opened the season with a 56-42 win over Kingsley – MI Sports Now
4. BOYS BASKETBALL East Jordan earned its first victory, edging Central Lake 68-65 – Petoskey News-Review
5. BOYS BASKETBALL Shepherd is 3-0 after a 46-36 win over Saginaw Swan Valley – Mount Pleasant Morning Sun
6. GIRLS BASKETBALL Fraser started with a win, 49-44 over Macomb Lutheran North – Macomb Daily
7. GIRLS BASKETBALL Kinde North Huron opened with a 34-27 win over Owendale-Gagetown – Huron Daily Tribune
8. GIRLS BASKETBALL Ida followed Jessica Schrader to a 59-51 opening win over Milan – Monroe News
9. GIRLS BASKETBALL Dearborn defeated Pinckney 40-30 in another season opener – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
10. GIRLS BASKETBALL Hesperia opened with a 42-20 win over Walkerville – Local Sports Journal
Also of note …
FOOTBALL Josh Lucas, who led Chelsea to the Division 4 title in 2021, is taking over at Jenison – Grand Rapids Press